Discussion » Questions » Weather » Tons of hurricanes in the Atlantic. Why no hurricanes in the Pacific? What's up with that?

Tons of hurricanes in the Atlantic. Why no hurricanes in the Pacific? What's up with that?

Posted - September 9, 2017

Responses

I think I was taught in school that the Gulf Stream (It brings tropical (hot) water from the Atlatantic outside the Caribbean up to Northern Europe) Anyway it also makes it easier for hurricanes to form in that area.
    How? I dont know, I had better things to do than listening to the teacher.
      September 9, 2017 2:44 AM MDT

Funnee hunnee! I think you listened quite a lot JakobA! There is an area in the United States called "hurricane alley". I'm not exactly sure where but I guess hurricanes are just a fact of life there. I've never experienced being in a hurricane but it's very scary being an observer via TV coverage presently. I saw photos of the "Before" and "After" for the islands of St. Martin and Barbuda and it was so heartbreaking. It seems that Barbuda is now 100% uninhabitable. Much of St. Martin is flattened. It seems we humans think we are in control but actually we are sitting ducks for Mother Nature's antics. What kind of weather do you get in Denmark? We get hurricanes and floods and earthquakes and fires somewhere or another in the United States all the time. This series of hurricanes I think will go down in history as being  one of the very worst. Hurricane Jose is coming right after the current one and I read that it was upgraded to a Cat 4 yesterday. It makes one wonder WHY? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      September 9, 2017 2:56 AM MDT

There are typhoons and tropical cyclones in the pacific but forming conditions there are a bit different. We don't hear about them unless they are catastrophic. They frequent the northern Pacific and the only time you see them is when you watch the TV series 'Deadliest Catch", about the crab fisherman. This post was edited by Element 99 at September 9, 2017 8:36 AM MDT
      September 9, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

That's because hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon. Scientists just call these storms different things depending on where they occur.
    In the Atlantic and northern Pacific, the storms are called "hurricanes," after the Caribbean god of evil, named Hurrican.
    In the northwestern Pacific, the same powerful storms are called "typhoons." In the southeastern Indian Ocean and southwestern Pacific, they are called "severe tropical cyclones."
    In the northern Indian Ocean, they're called "severe cyclonic storms." In the southwestern Indian Ocean, they're just "tropical cyclones."

Copied from National Geographic.
      September 9, 2017 9:57 AM MDT