Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The Donald John tells the UN Assembly that the US "will totally destroy North Korea". A big threat. One that needs to be addressed?

The Donald John tells the UN Assembly that the US "will totally destroy North Korea". A big threat. One that needs to be addressed?

What if North Korea said the very same thing about the United States? Would that direct threat warrant a pre-emptive strike by the US and thus begin a nuclear war? Why is The Donald John so clueless about the words he uses? Is he that unaware of what's at stake here or does he just want to show off the military strength of the US and wants a venue to show off in and North Korea is as good as any? SIGH.

Posted - September 20, 2017

Responses

Trump said:  "The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea."

Didn't China say recently that if the US attacks North Korea, it will intervene, but if North Korea attacks the US, it will not intervene?

Sounds like they are both saying the same thing to me.
      September 20, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

China has made such statements in the past but I haven't heard that claim over the most recent rumblings from North Korea. Could you please provide a link to a story or two (other than in the National Inquirer) that says that they have continued that line towards the US in this latest exchange?

I suspect that both China and Russia are providing the actual technology to North Korea (likely more from Russia) and North Korea is turning around and selling it to Iran (Where else would North Korea be getting funding?) I seriously doubt that China wants to lose their biggest customer, the USA, the very backbone of their economy. Perhaps they're now even a bit scared of the monster that they've helped create in North Korea. Those missiles can be aimed at Beijing (or Moscow) as easily as they can be aimed at Guam or LA.
      September 20, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

I don't have a link.  It was on either Bing or Yahoo.

I have no way to assess what is actually going on with regard to North Korea and where the tipping point in the situation might be, so I don't much concern myself with the rhetoric.

My only point was that I didn't think anything new had been said to suggest a change in any positions.
      September 20, 2017 4:02 PM MDT

September 20, 2017 4:05 PM MDT

Thanks for the attempt but I can't seem to access that page for some reason?
      September 20, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

I just had the same problem.  I was able to get there again by searching with the phrase "china's position on north korea"

And then look for the Aljazeera link   (second one on the page with Google search)
      September 21, 2017 4:11 PM MDT

I looked at the article and couldn't tell where the "news" ended and the "editorializing" began. That's typical for news out of that part of the world though.

But now that I think about it it would appear that Beijing has very much softened their stance on the situation. In the past they declared that they would side with and protect North Korea, period. Now they're saying that if North Korea should launch a strike first that they'll be on their own should the rest of the world retaliate. I doubt that would be the case given the common border and the very likely that fall-out would be heading for China should a nuclear exchange take place but it's interesting to note. 

And then there's Russia. That's who actually had control of Korea before WWII ended. There are those that are even more afraid of Russia now because there's no longer that "buffer zone" of eastern Europe between them and the west.
      September 21, 2017 9:51 PM MDT