Active Now

WelbyQuentin
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » I filled out a survey yesterday and it asked me my race. I checked 'other' and wrote in 'human'. Have you ever done that?

I filled out a survey yesterday and it asked me my race. I checked 'other' and wrote in 'human'. Have you ever done that?

Or mayhap something else?

Posted - September 20, 2017

Responses

Yes. I put, slow down.
      September 20, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

I have no idea why you would write that, but it is funny nevertheless.
      September 20, 2017 7:08 AM MDT

Race? Slow down.
      September 20, 2017 7:15 AM MDT

Duh.
      September 20, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

;*
      September 20, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

Yes.  I used to fill out funny answers on forms when I was 11.
      September 20, 2017 9:31 AM MDT

I put "10K."
      September 20, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

Ok.  You win.   See, sometimes I already have one saved, but I never know what I am going to put down until I look.

September 20, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

You're allowed to take your time and give it some thought before posting. With the comments arriving in real time, if both people are around it's like having a conversation. So editing and adding things makes it difficult and confusing. Better to have a pause in the conversation, then add a complete answer. That way, the other person can't "converse" prematurely.  

Whereas if you're getting back to people who aren't here, you can edit to your heart's content and nobody will know the difference.  
      September 20, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

You are missing the point. 

I didn't ask for this advice.

I do not WANT to.

I have clients like this.  I cannot go past that barrier.  Why give healthy, helpfuls when the person is not engaging? 

Don't cast these pearls before me, Lyrical.  I am swine.

September 20, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

You're making this far more complicated than it has to be. But fine, you do not WANT to. That's okay. You are obviously free to converse as you wish. Just don't expect that everyone will want to converse with you.  
      September 20, 2017 10:09 AM MDT

I have no expectations.

I seem to be doing okay. 
    I wish everyone would do it my way.

You see, if I wanted to converse, I would go on chat.

This is just intermittency.   All our answers are.  They come from a PERSON not a form of communication.

So, I am still writing and I went to youtube already and got this song.  As I did so, I kept thinking about what I was going to say.  Here it is.

I cannot do that with your formula.  Not without a lot of frustration on my part.  So, take this part of the site for what it is.

A lot of people don't want this turned into a back and forth chat room.  I love it, you love it and Carbonation loves it, among others.  But really this is for CREATIVITY.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 20, 2017 7:17 PM MDT
      September 20, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

What the hell are you two talking about?? It was just a stupid question and both your knickers are in a twist.
      September 20, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

NO.  We are not fighting.  We are attempting to clarify something that keeps getting in the way of us having a seamless conversation.

Lyrical is probably right, it's just too early in the morning for this.  I don't care right now and she thinks I am being obstinate because I am being obstinate.
      September 20, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

• A long time ago I got into a discussion with a some university professor on the old Answerbag and he went into great detail to explain to me that there currently are no other races amongst human beings only different ethnicities and there is only one race that we know of "The human race." I haven't filled out anthing that way, but I totally agree with how you filled out that survey.
    Thanks. : )
      September 20, 2017 9:58 AM MDT

The human race.

Yes.  We all are of that family. 

There is no more diverse family that we know of.   We spend so much time exploring what we are about that we did not bother to study what is all around us.   And yet, we still don't know a thing about what really makes us tick, what we really ARE underneath it all, sans bodily form, and if it even matters.

That's is what we belong to.  Some sort of awareness of that continually hanging around our psyches.  No wonder the majority of us are frustrated, angry, scared, confused and powerless.

No wonder we all act out.

Don't you think we would have figured out by now that the only answer is compassion.

NOPE.  We have to act through fear and doubt and pretend.  We want to make our brothers and sisters believe we are better and more entitled than they are and try to enslave them in some way to do our bidding.

We are in hell so we need to spread that hell.

That is the family we belong to.  Once in a great while a being transcends that and shows us the way back home.

There is THAT.

September 20, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

No but I usually check Native American.  
      September 20, 2017 12:02 PM MDT

You're an INJUN?

September 20, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

No.  But I was born in America.  

Not too many years ago I found out I had a Chocktaw (probably, but maybe Chickasaw) great grandmother.  People have always thought I was Viet Namese, Chinese, or one of the Asian origins.  When I found out about the Indian great grandmother, it explained the high cheek bones.  My mother and I are the only ones with that trait.   All of my other heritage is German (as far as I know).  
      September 20, 2017 12:38 PM MDT

That is a technical term for the Indians.   You qualify because you have some Native American blood.  You are IN. 

I may be born in Africa and white as snow.  That does not qualify me as an African American.

Not really.  But I like your story anyway. 
      September 20, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

No, and I suspect doing so may only make your survey essentially useless as a valid response.  But if enough people do that, perhaps the surveys will find a less offensive way to characterize "race" than they currently do.

The term (race) was often used in a general biological taxonomic sense, starting from the 19th century, to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype.

Race has no taxonomic significance by pointing out that all living humans belong to the same species, Homo sapiens, and subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)
    This post was edited by tom jackson at September 20, 2017 7:20 PM MDT
      September 20, 2017 12:22 PM MDT

I always check the "Two or more" option.

In theory, I guess someone could be of another race ... from some "lost tribe" of another "parallel evolution" branch.
      September 20, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

I actually wrote Vulcan once.
      September 20, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

Next time try Seven of Nine.
      September 20, 2017 3:19 PM MDT