Active Now

Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » How much more does it cost to rebuild island cities than mainland cities since everything has to be shipped in/flown in? Is it affordable?

How much more does it cost to rebuild island cities than mainland cities since everything has to be shipped in/flown in? Is it affordable?

Posted - September 21, 2017

Responses

The cost of shipping things is surprisingly low, especially if you do it in large quantities, so all together it would not cost a lot more than building the same house on the US mainland, maybe with the exception of the cost to hire and transport workers to and fro, that could be expensive.
      September 21, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply JacobA and Happy First Day of Autumn Friday in the USA! Would you rebuild on Puerto Rico? From what I've heard it is totally demolished. It will take 4-6 months to get power back on the island. How do we know another CAT 4 or 5 won't hit the island again? I don't understand rebuilding anyplace you were wiped out. I suppose there is no 100% totally safe place in the world but some places are geographically safer than others. We've always wanted to live at the beach but on a bluff high above not at water's edge or on the sand. I dunno. It's a puzzlement!  :)
      September 22, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

"Totally demolished" is not so extremely bad when we are talking about local buildings nad of cheap plywood and currugated metal roofs.
    Rebulding that with 'better' housing, would still ber cheaper and fster that rebuilding storm damaged US buildings (as rigthy1 rightly point out).
      September 22, 2017 12:27 PM MDT

It depends how you rebuild. If we're talking hurricane damage in the Caribbean islands, it won't cost much when you compare it with the United States. Why? Because housing in the US is almost completely 100% luxury, lavish, massive, extravagant compared to the housing in say, Peruto Rico, Cuba or Haiti, where they live a lot more modest, for example. 
      September 21, 2017 8:48 PM MDT

Here's the thing righty. Many of those places that were hit were totally demolished. Why would you rebuild where you were wiped out? The possibility of other hurricanes doing the same thing in the future certainly exists. I just don't get.  Would you rebuild on the same spot? Thank you for your reply and Happy First Day of Autumn Friday in the USA! :)
      September 22, 2017 3:46 AM MDT