Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Which is safer in a state of emergency: a vacant mall or a home?

Which is safer in a state of emergency: a vacant mall or a home?

My son and I had this debate today. We were at a mall that's pretty much empty. It's a big two-story mall with several anchor stores and maybe 50 or so smaller shops, as well as a food court. The mall is being readapted to something else, so everything but a couple of the stores are closed and the whole upper floor is vacant. The food court is also gone. As we walked past all the empty shops, my son remarked that it would be a great place for the end of the world on the 23rd or if the zombie apocalypse comes. He argues that a family could grab any one of the empty stores and use it as a living space, and that the mall, as a whole, would be easy to defend, if a group was there. 

I'm thinking no. Having that many people together in an end-of-times or emergency situation is dangerous, and you can't rely on people to protect the perimeter. Plus, there are so many points of entry. Once something happens inside or gets inside, you're mostly a sitting duck. Sure, you can pull down the door of your storefront, but you can't get out. Plus, if you run out of food or whatever, you have to leave, and the place is surrounded by concrete. You've got no cover to get away. I think it would be better to board up the windows at home, protect your four walls, enjoy the benefits of on-site food storage, and wait for things to cool off before trying to go anywhere... and then, you want to get as far away from people as possible. 

What say ye? Who has the better plan? How would you handle it or improve upon it?

Posted - September 21, 2017

Responses

Personally I would stay home. The mall would fill up with others and chaos would ensue.
      September 21, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

I would stay safe in my own house.
      September 21, 2017 6:15 PM MDT

Check out George Romero's original "Dawn of the Dead" and Zack Snyder's remake of that same film "Dawn of the Dead" and watch your debate come to life. 
    Both movies take place in a mall and both involve the living dead.
    Both movies rock!
    Two of my very favorites!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 21, 2017 7:00 PM MDT
      September 21, 2017 6:22 PM MDT

I feel like I should have seen those, but I haven't yet. :o Thanks!
      September 21, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

You're welcome, Just Asking!
    :)
      September 21, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

BTW, I told my son he was outnumbered and that everyone agrees with me. lol Apparently, he has seen the movies you're referencing and he defended his position. He says that only happened because it's a movie and everyone dies in zombie movies. Also, he says there wasn't enough teamwork, and that a large group would do better. I remain unconvinced. -_-

September 21, 2017 7:27 PM MDT

I'm with your son.

And if people are going to have no teamwork, there is no better way to watch it than in those movies! and I'd even say there was teamwork involved but the circumstances got overwhelming. and accidents happen, either at the mall or at home. Hey, if you're in a house and a throng of zombies get in, you're done for. Or you could run outside -- right in the arms of all the other zombies waiting to get in the house. With more living people around you, there's more people to help each other out - - ideally, that is.
    But you better go and tell your son that he may be outnumbered in this thread but I'll meet him at the mall!
      September 21, 2017 9:20 PM MDT

lol Peas in a pod. I wish you both the best of luck. I'll miss you. :p
      September 22, 2017 3:58 AM MDT

Ha!
      September 22, 2017 7:02 AM MDT

• I don't know much about zombies, but I do get a little nervous in really big malls because there are so many entrances and little hallways and large groups of people in the food courts etc.
    I'm always looking around to see where my son and I could exit or take shelter in the event of an active shooter or terrorist attack.
    I don't want to go into too much detail about the specific mall or why it would be a potential target because I don't wanna give anyone ideas, but I do feel much safer in my home in the country.
      September 21, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

Yeah, I do that too. I don't really worry about zombies, but you have to think in terms of what could really happen. Natural disasters, civil unrest, fires, shooters, etc. You never know, so you should be aware of what exits are around you. I tend to read people while I'm out too. I watch faces. If anyone looks sketchy, I leave. 

One of the things I love about TWD is that it explores the humanity of people. It's not just about dealing with the situation, it's about how people change and behave without civilization/ society guiding them. Rick's group tends to be more "human" and retains its values, but the other groups, not so much. And, I suspect that's how things would go down if they did go down, for any reason. Dark thoughts. Sorry. :o
      September 21, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

• Yeah, I haven't watched that show yet sorry, but I think I get what you mean.
    People have different values and beliefs and some people are only civil because they have to be according to law and they can't afford to go to prison and lose everything.
    You take away laws and accountability and it could get scary because some people could kill others and not feel bad about it at all.
    That's why prisons are so scary to me because some of those inmates are in there for life and really have nothing to lose and if so inclined could kill anyone if they can get a weapon or even a chance to do it.

I think there are also people who care and wouldn't want to hurt anyone regardless.
    I'm sure over time they might get more violent just to survive, but the ability to show empathy for others should still remain, I would hope?
      September 21, 2017 7:48 PM MDT

I'd go with the mall. I'm thinking of the basement of a sturdy enclosure.  Plus I can pick up a cute outfit for the emergency.

Loot Loot Loot

September 21, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

lol There are no basements in malls here. :o But, yes, you could die in a cute outfit. :p
      September 22, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

More hiding places at the mall tho. Unless you live in a house bigger than the mall. lol. More weapons at the mall too. 
      September 21, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

Hiding places? Maybe if the mall is full, but I'm talking about a mall that is totally empty. The stores don't even have racks or checkout counters in them anymore. :o Hey, who's side are you on anyway? :p
      September 22, 2017 4:01 AM MDT

It depends on the construction of each.  An old mall vs a home built under the latest Florida building code is a no-brainer....I'm staying at the house.  :)
      September 21, 2017 10:16 PM MDT

Good points.
      September 22, 2017 4:01 AM MDT