Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are you in constant pain. What is the cause and is there a cure?

Are you in constant pain. What is the cause and is there a cure?

Posted - September 22, 2017

Responses

Yes. Deterioration of the right shoulder due to arthritis. Stenosis cervical spine, sciatica right side, unhealed surgery right wrist. No cures, just ibuprofen.
      September 22, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

((hugs))  Geez Ele what a bummer! Jim has a compressed disc in his spine and the nerves get pinched so he is in constant "discomfort". Some days are worse than others. Condolences to you m'dear. Being in constant pain is very tiring. Pain intrudes on every facet of life. I am really sorry that you have to live with that. I don't understand about your right wrist. Is that surgery new and you are still recovering from it? Unhealed surgery should mean that when it heals there will be no pain? I get arthritic attacks from time to time in my hands/wrists.  But they are always temporary and relatively brief. Sometimes months go by and I'm fine. The stenosis of your spine...was that from birth? I just looked it up in the dictionary. Here's to a good day today. Oh. You do remember the world is going to end today, right? How are you going to fill your time? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      September 23, 2017 2:13 AM MDT

I have manageable pain from a herniated disk in my lower back which is alleviated by Advil.  Surgery would probably fix it permanently, but I'm not sure the risk is worth it at this point.  Happy Autumn. :)
      September 22, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

Advil is just a brand name for ibuprofen and much more expensive. I buy the generic ibu in 500 tab bottles for about $10.
      September 22, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

I buy the generic at BJ's Wholesale Club.  I just think that most people understand Advil better than ibuprofen which some think is Tylenol.
      September 22, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

Most people don't read labels or do their research. I was at Kroger today and their brand of ibu was $6.99 for 500 tabs. Advil was $21 for 300 tabs. My sister swears by her Advil because she is stupid.
      September 22, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

I will almost always go with the generic/store brand. 
      September 22, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

Jim has a herniated disc too I think  Spunky. Is that the same thing as a "compressed" disc? I read statistics years ago about the success rate of back surgery. Now I don't know if those odds have changed. But back surgery had a 50% success rate meaning that half the time it would make things better and half the time it would do nothing or make things worse. Of course if you are 30 the risk may be worth it but Jim is going to be 82 and the problem started when he was in his mid-60's. Then he made the mistake of going to a chiropractor after a couple of years. That further damaged his back. I don't know what the guy did to him but he rues the day he went. He plays tennis and golf and his back always hurts. But it hurts anyway so he plays through the pain. Condolences to you for that. When you say "manageable" you really mean tolerable right? I guess everyone has something annoying or aggravating or intrusive. Aging isn't for wimps. I don't know who said that but t'is oh so true! Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      September 23, 2017 2:21 AM MDT

I don't know if they are exactly the same condition, but they create the same kind of pain.  I've had that problem for a long time now.  It bothers me more when I first wake up until I start moving around and take a couple of ibuprofen - then I'm pretty good for the rest of the day.  If I walk too much or stand for long periods of time, I get sciatica, but that, too, is tolerable with OTC meds if I need them.  I believe it was Katherine Hepburn who said that growing old is not for the faint of heart. :)  She's right, but it's still better than the alternative.  :)  Happy Saturday to you. :)
      September 23, 2017 11:41 AM MDT

No but I am a constant pain.
      September 22, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

Only when you are awake. LOL
      September 22, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

For me, I've been through a constant mental pain and I don't expect anyone else to understand it.
      September 22, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

That counts as pain and I understand it.
      September 22, 2017 10:23 AM MDT

Emotional too if I may be allowed to put in my two cents' my friend. Loss is always painful. The pain hopefully recedes over time but never entirely. There is no cure for that. When people you love leave  your life..whether through death or just because things changed and they moved on..it always hurts. On July 25 our beloved cat Tigger died. You cannot compare the loss of human beings to the loss of a pet but it hurts the same...not as deeply but it hurts just the same. Death is part of life. When it comes...whether in the form of the death of a person or the death of a relationship...you know you are changed and will be affected forever after. I'm talking around what you're talking about but we both understand what I'm saying. Thank you for your reply Zack and Happy Saturday! :)
      September 23, 2017 2:27 AM MDT

Drinking pot tea helps the pain in my bones and joints.
      September 22, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

What is "pot" tea sweetie? Do you mean marijuana? I have heard that there is a medicinal/therapeutic effect especially for people with Cancer or Aids. I'm glad that there is something you have access to that mitigates the aches and pains!  Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Saturday! :)
      September 23, 2017 2:29 AM MDT

Yes dear it is medical marijuana.
    They have potions and lotions and other treatments for just about anything.
    They not only help with the pain, but they are a healing source for many things.
      September 23, 2017 10:20 AM MDT