Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Opioides come from Afghanistan where the U.S has been conducting a long military campaign. Right now there is a heroin epidemic across

Opioides come from Afghanistan where the U.S has been conducting a long military campaign. Right now there is a heroin epidemic across

America. Any connection?

Posted - September 23, 2017

Responses

I don't know. Most of the information I've gathered supports the school of thought that much of actual heroin addiction in the US begins with prescription opiate abuse, and these are mostly synthetic opiates and aren't made with any real opium. From what I've learned, a large percentage of addicts start down that deadly path after they're "legitimately" prescribed these medications.  I'm sure there are a good number of US service members who do become addicted to heroin while serving in Afghanistan.  

I definitely think that it is highly likely that there is a direct connection between the US's occupation of Afghanistan and the huge increase in opium addiction of the people in that country. :(
      September 23, 2017 9:50 PM MDT