Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Business » Is there any direct tie-in between the number of folks massacred in a mass shooting and the number of guns gun people buy the next day?

Is there any direct tie-in between the number of folks massacred in a mass shooting and the number of guns gun people buy the next day?

Or is it random and quirky and idiosyncratic and whimsical and unpredictable and and and simply a function of what the gun folks can afford? Inquiring minds WANNA KNOW! "_

Posted - October 4, 2017

Responses

I've heard numerous times on the news that there is an increase in the number of guns purchased after a tragedy of this type. I think it's because it puts fear in people and they feel safer being able to protect themselves and those they love. 

Most people are law-abiding citizens that want to feel safe in their own homes. But even if those same people were armed, it wouldn't have prevented the devastation that occurred.  

Something needs to be done and I'm certainly no expert, but some action needs to be taken. This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at October 5, 2017 10:59 PM MDT
      October 4, 2017 11:22 AM MDT

How many guns can you shoot simultaneously PC? I'm not a gun person but it's a question that occurs to me constantly. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 5, 2017 4:06 AM MDT

I guess the correct answer would be two if they wanted to look like John Wayne. If guns really do overheat, I guess if someone wants to kill a large number of people, they have to have an arsonal. 

There are collectors of just about anything, so I can understand the desire for some people (the safe and sane ones) to have a bunch of guns. 
      October 5, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

That is their PUT A BAND-AID on the real problem knee-jerk reaction.

They can tell themselves they are SAFER now.

Like they are gonna know when some IDIOT with a Telescopic lens is gonna aim at their head while grocery shopping or something at the MALL.

The only thing it does is provide less protection for the rest of us because idiots like this are allowed to knee-jerk purchase an arsenal if need be.

Paranoia strikes deep. Just ask George Zimmerman and Treyvon Martin.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 5, 2017 4:06 AM MDT
      October 4, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

Here's what I don't get Shar. How many guns can a person shoot simultaneously? Why does anyone need  20 guns or 40 or however many gun people buy? Now if you are a collector of antique guns (some are really beautiful as shown on Antiques Roadshow) and you display them but never use them that's a horse of a different color. But when droves of people flood gun stores the day after a massacre I doubt those are the kinds of gun they are buying. Safety in numbers? You only have two hands. Thank you for your reply and the graphic. SIGH.
      October 5, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

I can only answer for myself. About six yers ago the Nazis were in town having a rally. Really. A large group of inner city teens (mostly boys) started a riot and started trashing their own neighborhood. The next day I got a gun. (illegally). I have since sold it to my sister who lives in that hood.
      October 4, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

Do you know how to use a gun Ele? I mean can any novice just pick one up and defend him/herself without any prior training? That would be scary as He**. I wouldn't venture out at all. I'm sorry that your sister lives there and I hope she stays safe. Thank you for your reply. I'm gonna ask that question. :)
      October 5, 2017 4:11 AM MDT

I am well versed in the use of hand guns, rifles and shotguns. My sister actually has a murder memorial in front of her house.
      October 5, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

Wow! So if I go buy a gun would I know how to shoot it to protect myself or could I kill myself due to ignorance? How much training does it take to operate a gun safely? Not that I'm gonna ever buy one. I'm just curious.  Thank you for your reply Ele!  :)
      October 5, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

In the Navy we were required yearly to qualify with the M-14 rifle and a M1911-A1 45 cal semi-automatic pistol. Any idiot can use a shotgun. Respect, not fear, your weapon.
      October 5, 2017 8:24 AM MDT

What about a handgun? Which is easier or safer to use if you don't know anything about them? Not being afraid of something that could be used to kill? I think that's asking a lot  Ele. I'm just sayin  '
      October 5, 2017 8:29 AM MDT

A necessary evil. I have no desire to kill anyone, but I was prepared if necessary. We did NOT carry weapons with us at all times, just during security alerts or on watch at the quarterdeck of the ships. (That is where people embark and depart the ship.)
      October 5, 2017 8:39 AM MDT

Thanks for the info. I won't ask the obvious question. Well what the he** I will but please don't answer it if it makes uncomfortable. Did you ever have to kill anyone Ele? I can't imagine what that would feel like. It is a very presumptuous question and friendship ought not allow for presumption. So just ignore it. I could delete it but that would be dishonest.
    Oh. I got your message and I replied. Many thanks. :):):):):)
      October 5, 2017 8:43 AM MDT

Then the matter is now moot.
      October 5, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

Yep. Over and out! :)
      October 5, 2017 8:53 AM MDT

I don't know about all states, but in California you need to take a gun safety class prior to purchasing a gun and possess a valid Firearm Safety Certificate. 
      October 5, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

Thank you for the info PC. So BEFORE I  buy a gun I need to do the above and present that Certificate to the gun store owner. What about gun shows? Do those sellers require permits as well? 
      October 6, 2017 2:44 AM MDT

The DOJ certified instructors at the gun stores are the ones that issue the certificate. I don't know if gun shows   have DOJ instructors on site. In order to get the certificate, you would have to pass only a written test. If you're inexperienced with gun safety, I would suggest taking a gun safety class which is a hands-on class. I've only been to a gun show once and that was many years ago, but I believe you must have a permit before purchasing a gun. 
      October 6, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

Thank you for your helpful reply PC and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      October 7, 2017 4:21 AM MDT

there might be
      October 4, 2017 3:48 PM MDT