Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » There is a difference between Canonization (sainthood) and Beatification (blessed). Anyone you would support for sainthood/beatification?

There is a difference between Canonization (sainthood) and Beatification (blessed). Anyone you would support for sainthood/beatification?

CANONIZATION (sainthood) requires that the person performed TWO MIRACLES. Verifiable/postmortem.
BEATIFICATION (blessed) requires only one  miracle. Verifiable/postmortem

The process cannot begin until 5 years after the death of the person being considered for it although the POPE can waive the waiting period.

There are other requirements as well.

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Not up to us.
    (Romans 9:16) So, then, it depends, not on a person’s desire or on his effort, but on God, who has mercy.

You may find the Bible's use of Saints or Holy Ones to be a bit different than that of popular tradition. If you have time, you might look up the cited verses in the following articles:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002059?q=%22holy+ones%22&p=par
    HOLY ONES - Saints - Biblical encyclopedia

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002681?q=%22holy+ones%22&p=par
    How Can True Saints Help You?

n
      October 5, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

Thank you so much for the links tex. I just wondered what it takes to become a saint or beatified. I appreciate the info. Happy Thursday m'dear! :)
      October 5, 2017 8:06 AM MDT

texasescimo for beatification.     

For 1 measly miracle, he should have this.

October 5, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

Not real familiar with Catholic procedures. I don't think the links with scriptural references made much of an impression.
    I found this though:
    A Controversial Choice
    In September 2000, Pope John Paul II proceeded with the beatification of Pius IX (pope, 1846-78). In the Catholic daily La Croix, French historian René Rémond mentioned that Pius IX made “decisions that shock an evangelical mind—such as allowing the execution of Italian patriots sentenced to death for questioning his power as head of State.” Calling him the “last European absolute monarch,” the newspaper Le Monde noted the intolerance of this pope-king and especially his fight against “freedom of conscience, human rights, and the emancipation of the Jews.” The paper added that Pius IX “condemned democracy, freedom of religion, and separation of Church and State” as well as “freedom of the press, thought, and association.” It was Pius IX who in 1869 opened the first Vatican council where the doctrine of papal infallibility in matters of faith and morals was defined.
      October 5, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

Who cares what Peter Paul and Mary say. You are headed to sainthood and we both will eat straw together in paradise.
      October 5, 2017 6:28 PM MDT

I a frayed knot. 
      October 5, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

It's your decision. Yu da judge.

October 6, 2017 4:35 AM MDT

I've met 3 over the last 40 or so years that would qualify, but their names would mean nothing to you..

There is a point to canonization in the Catholic Church that is probably not generally appreciated or understood---to wit:

"We must not lose sight that this thorough process exists because of how important the saints are as examples for us, the faithful who strive to live in the Kingdom of God now and see its fulfillment in Heaven. Vatican II declared, "God shows to men, in a vivid way, His presence and His face in the lives of those companions of ours in the human condition who are more perfectly transformed in the image of Christ. He speaks to us in them and offers us a sign of this kingdom to which we are powerfully attracted, so great a cloud of witnesses is there given and such a witness to the truth of the Gospel. It is not merely by the title of example that we cherish the memory of those in heaven; we seek rather that by this devotion to the exercise of fraternal charity the union of the whole Church in the Spirit may be strengthened" ("Lumen Gentium," No. 50).
      October 5, 2017 8:01 PM MDT