Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it. What about "taking a knee"? Will you defend that too?

I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it. What about "taking a knee"? Will you defend that too?

The origin of those words is a bit murkey but we have all heard it multiple times in its different iterations. Do you subscribe to that? Is it words alone or actions too that should be respected whether or not we agree with them? How is "taking a knee" not a form of free speech? How does it harm anyone?

Posted - October 11, 2017

Responses

Well taking a knee is a peaceful protest. No one is harmed and the point gets put across. It is protest like this that are most successful.
      October 15, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

I totally agree with thee gigi! I don't understand those who protest the protest. Do you? Thank you for your reply! I'm gonna ask a question about it! :)
      October 16, 2017 3:04 AM MDT

Sometimes people protest for the sake of the protest. I guess that gives them a high. To be anti - establishment jsut for the sake of it.
      October 16, 2017 3:20 AM MDT

You mean it's for show and not for real? They PRETEND just to get the approval of others? I don't like phonies. I don't like liars. So protesting just for the sake of protesting without being emotionally or intellectually involved in the cause is hypocritical. I'm sure tons of people do it. More's the pity! Thank you for your reply gf! :)
      October 16, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

Where I am from. The politicians do not have that much credibility. So in order to show that the said politician has a large audience they pay people from the marginalised fringes of society with food and money to protest for that. So they protest out of necessity rather than beliefs. Sometimes, basic necessity trumps strong belief. 
      October 16, 2017 3:34 AM MDT

Touche. If it meant the difference between my family starving I would pretend to care about a cause I didn't give a rat's a** about if they paid me to do it. Parents will die for their children. They certainly can lie if that lie means food on the table and survival. Thank you for your reply gf! Where ARE you from?
      October 16, 2017 3:37 AM MDT

I am from India. The land of Mahatma Gandhi where independence was won through non-violent means.
      October 16, 2017 3:57 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply gigi fire. I appreciate it. I live in Hemet, California (southern California). You have every reason to be proud of Mahatma Gandhi. An historical hero for all time! :)
      October 16, 2017 4:10 AM MDT

Sure, so long as it's done on their time, not on my time. 

You just totally ignore the Constitution when it's meaning does't suite you. Incredible.
      October 18, 2017 8:22 AM MDT