Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » When the ship is going down does the Captain have an OBLIGATION to stick with it/drown? What about his family? Must they stick/drown too?

When the ship is going down does the Captain have an OBLIGATION to stick with it/drown? What about his family? Must they stick/drown too?

Posted - October 13, 2017

Responses

No Rosie fear not, you can catch another ship to another country, Australia is large with a small population so plenty of room here and you no longer need a criminal record to gain entry.
      October 13, 2017 4:33 AM MDT

((hugs)) You know sweetie I have also had that offer from another  Answermugger. I am so honored to have you extend that invitation to me. I shall hold you to it. I guess you know that  Aussies are among my favorite people in the whole entire world! I don't have a criminal record unless you count parking tickets. I've had a couple of those many decades ago. Full disclosure. I just wish our government were as astute/smart/logical/practical as yours. Yep I do. What you did about the buyback of guns is such a smart thing. We aren't nearly that smart. Well I have nothing to do with it. I am not a gun person. I think we have 300,000 or 300 hundred million guns in America. Maybe 300 hundred billion. Anyway it's a Huge number. And every time we have a mass murderer MASSACRE our people gun folks rush out to buy more. Gun shop owners LOVE it. They make predictable big bucks out of it. I am personally humiliated and embarrassed and appalled and disgusted with their lemming-like predictability gunwise. SIGH. Thank you for your reply mom! :)
      October 13, 2017 4:43 AM MDT

No on the first question, no on the second.  If a ship is sinking, maritime tradition dictates that the captain ensures the safe evacuation of every passenger before he evacuates himself. He (or she) is responsible for the lives of those on board, and he can't coordinate their exit unless he's the last person off. So no, just the opposite.
      October 13, 2017 5:27 AM MDT