Discussion » Questions » Language » An Answermugger brought up the term " passive aggressive". Doesn't passive aggressive cancel itself out and become a cipher?

An Answermugger brought up the term " passive aggressive". Doesn't passive aggressive cancel itself out and become a cipher?

Posted - October 15, 2017

Responses

No, it does not.
      October 15, 2017 6:40 AM MDT

No, passive aggressive....is a way of being mean but still having a way of claiming they were being nice.

I call it being "nasty-nice". 
      October 15, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

Can you give me an example m2c? I have heard the term before. I know what sarcastic is and snarky but this passive aggressive thing makes no sense. I looked it up in the dictionary and it still makes no sense. It is listed as a personality disorder in the dictionary and the examples given are procrastination, stubbornness and pouting. It honestly sounds like bullsh** to me.  If someone is trying to force you to do something you don't want to do you refuse. That's being stubborn. It is also being very logical.  Everyone procrastinates.  There are things you have to do that you don't particularly like so you put them off.

Sometimes by delaying the doing they take care of themselves. Not often but it does happen. If you like doing something you do it right away. If you don't you delay hoping it will go away. As for pouting geez. When I'm disappointed about something I SHOW it.  It may be disappointment in myself or others or a situaation. But I sure as he** am  NOT all happy facey sweetie piesy.  So unless you can give me an example that makes sense (the dictionary does not) I think passive aggressive is nonsense bullsh** that people use to insult others with no there there. I mean calling someone passive aggressive is NEVER a compliment, right? It is an accusation/insult/dig. Totally meaningless as far as I am concerned. Your turn!  Thanks.

This post was edited by RosieG at October 15, 2017 7:33 AM MDT
      October 15, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

This link has some pretty good example:
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Passive%20Aggressive

October 15, 2017 7:50 AM MDT

Here's another example. It's claiming you never attack or insult anyone, then ignoring people who take the time to post answers to your questions. That's the passive part. Then you post one of your pseudo-questions about why can't  people just ignore those who attack/insult the way that you ignore them. That's the aggressive part. You are accusing people of attacking and insulting you and making it clear who those people are,  but you can still claim you are not talking trash about anyone. Clear enough for you? Or are you ignoring me?
      October 15, 2017 10:24 AM MDT