Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why do people want to watch things like car accidents?

Why do people want to watch things like car accidents?

When something unfortunate happens, whether it's a car accident or someone making himself look foolish on a thread, we all tend to bottleneck to watch the carnage. Why? O_o

Posted - July 26, 2016

Responses

• I think there's two aspects at work here ... I don't like death and carnage or seeing people hurt. .. But there's a certain schadenfreude in seeing some idiot get their comeuppance ... and it can be a useful learning tool
      July 26, 2016 9:20 PM MDT

Most, not all, are drawn to accidents...maybe in relief that it is not us or our loved ones, maybe because we live in small towns and worry who it is...I don't really know why.

As far as people melting down, many do take a perverse pleasure or schadenfreude, as ozgirl said, in watching that unfold.    

July 26, 2016 9:41 PM MDT

Sometimes I think it's because they stopped making movies like Mary Poppins . A lot the movies and video games are violent these days so maybe people are getting de sensitized. But then again I can remember my parents slowing  down when they drove by an accident so maybe  humans have always had a morbid curiosity. Not sure about the tread thing though - getting out of the bottle neck  and not being part of the carnage can be a simple click away. Cheers!

July 26, 2016 9:44 PM MDT