Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Did you know there was a mini-drill press operators strike at the Cheerios factory in 2003?

Did you know there was a mini-drill press operators strike at the Cheerios factory in 2003?

For a time they just call the cereal 'Cheeries'.

Posted - October 16, 2017

Responses

OMG Thats disturbing. I dont know if Ill be able to get over it before my next bowl. Does this mean I have to slow down my consumption? You cant really expect me to do that do you, it would be ludicrous. Really Element 99, why even share such horrible news with us. What do you want to do, ruin our day. ;P
      October 16, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

That little labor insurrection ultimately ended very badly for the drill press operators though. It seems that shortly after that strike Generally Moldy quietly purchased a number of automatic punch-presses and had them installed over a week-end. Come Monday the drill press operators showed up to a stack of pink slips instead of a new 40-hour week. So now the holes in Cheerios are automatically punched on an assembly line rather than lovingly individually drilled. Sure, quality suffered by a minuscule amount. But no customers complained and costs to produce that cereal dropped by a LOT. So what are you gonna do?
      October 16, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

Then I wonder why they closed the plant here in Toledo. (We really did have one.)
      October 16, 2017 1:29 PM MDT

You just made the world a better place, if only for a few minutes.
      October 16, 2017 6:45 PM MDT