Active Now

Thebigd
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » General Kelly said condolence calls are hard to make based on the below-stated reasons. How is it that Clinton/Obama had no problem?

General Kelly said condolence calls are hard to make based on the below-stated reasons. How is it that Clinton/Obama had no problem?

General Kelly said if you are not in the family, have never worn the uniform and never served in the military making condolence calls are very difficult.  Well Clinton never served in the military nor did Obama yet they were able to make such calls without stirring up so much controversy. Why does Trump have problems with it?

Posted - October 20, 2017

Responses

I'm sure it was difficult for Clinton and Obama as well. However both of them are accomplished wordsmiths, which Trump is not. In addition, Trump has so many people waiting to pounce on his every word and tear it apart, that it would be almost impossible for it not to be controversial once Congresswoman Wilson made it her business to politicize a family's tragic loss. Many, many people stumble over their words and I believe that General Kelly explained quite well how Trump came to say what he said. This call should have been private. Period.
      October 20, 2017 11:23 AM MDT

I would expect that the congresswoman was present with at least the consent of the relatives. 

I'm sure Trump winged it as he does most of what he says---and a disaster usually follows when he does that.

If I'm making a call like that, the only one who should need the call to be private is the recipient---only he or she is directly involved in the subject matter.

It's the caller who should make sure that an average person will not think him to be the insensitive dolt that he is, just in case the call winds up public.
      October 20, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

I have no problem with her being present, I have a problem with her using the call the way she did. General Kelly said that he gave Trump advice on what to say and Trump was attempting to do it. Kelly also said he advised against making the calls, other presidents have not called every time and Kelly was fine with that. I am not a Trump supporter and I also think he should have stuck to sending letters that were carefully crafted by people who know what to say. My answer was not an excuse for Trump, it was merely answering the question of why Clinton and Obama had no problem. For Congresswoman Wilson to use the call to get in front of the cameras and take a dig at Trump was totally unnecessary. He is not an articulate speaker and we know that.  And because we have only her spin on it, we don't hear the tone or the context which may have been quite different than she portrayed or what she coached the family into saying.
      October 20, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

We don't know if they misspoke on a condolence call....the families who recieved them kept them private as they should be. 
    There certainly were not any Congress persons listening in to pounce on any possible wrong statement and exploit the death of a soldier for political purposes. 
      October 20, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

Congresswoman Wilson was INVITED to be in the car. She is a long-time family friend and knew the young man who died since he was a child. The widow put the call on speakerphone so everyone could hear. Kelly was "stunned" that anyone would listen in on the call. He listened in. Hypocrite.  She did not exploit the death. Trump did and Kelly pushed it to a new dimension by LYING about an FBI building dedication at which Congresswoman  Wilson spoke. I  WATCHED AND HEARD EVERY WORD she said because her speech was played in its entirety on MSNBC.  What Kelly accused her of NEVER HAPPENED. He is either a liar or senile. Trump never apologizes he doubles down. Will Kelly follow suit or does he have some integrity? If so he will apologize PUBLICLY as he exocirated her publicly. Trump has always disgusted me. Now Kelly  disgusts me too. Lets see what he is made of. Let's see if he has the decency to apologize for his lies unlike his boss.. This post was edited by RosieG at October 21, 2017 3:48 AM MDT
      October 21, 2017 3:46 AM MDT

I don't  care if she was invited or not. It is what she did after the call. Making it a  political attack. We all know President Trump did not call that soldier's with the intent to upset her, he may have botched it up trying to say what Gen Kelly advised him to say.  
    She used that family and that soldier's death (and it is worse if she is really a family friend) and now thinks she is a "rockstar" for it. 
      October 21, 2017 6:13 AM MDT

When asked that very same question General Kelly stated that he never received a call from his Commander and Chief when his son selflessly gave his life in service to his country. His Commander and Chief at the time was none other than Obummer. Stands to reason that the previous administration couldn't be bothered with such trivialities. 

Given that, it seems that Obummer and Clinton (who wouldn't have been in line to make such a call anyhow) simply had no regard, no respect, for our fallen men and women in uniform. Or perhaps Obummer thought he already did when he referred to the "United States Marine Corpse". No surprise there though . . . This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 20, 2017 1:38 PM MDT
      October 20, 2017 12:51 PM MDT