Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Has your life ever been positively or negatively impacted by a question/answer /comment on an internet social site? How can cyberspace harm you?

Has your life ever been positively or negatively impacted by a question/answer /comment on an internet social site? How can cyberspace harm you?

Posted - July 27, 2016

Responses

You fight back, if someone says you are a child, you say, I know you are but what am I, lol!!!

July 27, 2016 11:04 AM MDT

• Not really.  I've met some very nice folks and some not so nice ones.  But these sites just don't rule my life one way or another.  I guess that's the good part of not having grown up with relying on them like so many young folks do today.  

July 27, 2016 11:07 AM MDT

No.  It hasn't.  I have heard horror stories about hacking into people's private accounts,  that kind of thing.  I would not know where to begin to correct it.   It can ruin your life for certain.    But someone attacking me on a Q and A site is something I can handle and certainly do not lose a moment of sleep over.

July 27, 2016 11:09 AM MDT

Bahama, I think she is talking about thieves that hack your life on the internet.  May it NEVER happen to you or me.  It's terrifying to hear the stories of people who's lives were ruined or bank accounts hacked.  God forbid.

Oh wait, I just re-read what she said.   No, I don't think someone accusing me of anything on a Q & A site  is going to cause me to loose sleep.  You are right.    LOL 

July 27, 2016 11:10 AM MDT

I have three incredibly close friends that I have gotten to know through the Internet.  Two of them, I have known for many years now.

We chat every day without fail and these ladies have been wonderful friends.  They often make me laugh until I cry.  

July 27, 2016 11:10 AM MDT

The question I asked is have you ever been impacted/harned BSurf? Have you?

July 27, 2016 11:59 AM MDT

I have been negatively impacted because such things reveal to me the ubiquity and intransigence of motivated cognition, Dunning-Kruger effect, magical thinking, baseline neglect, historical ignorance, and so forth, which collectively fall under the appellation...

And that depresses me....;-D...

July 27, 2016 12:09 PM MDT

Precisely.  This internet social life on Answermug serves at my pleasure just as Answerbag did. By that I mean I arrive/leave at my convenience. I don't need permission. I ask what I want to ask. If some questions get deleted I don't care. I did what I wanted to do. I asked the question. I am in complete control of everything I do/say, with whom I engage and  whom I ignore. What could be better than that? It is a luxury one doesn't get in real life. You can't always ignore the jerks/fools. Sometimes you have to suffer them. Thank you for your reply LC and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)

July 27, 2016 12:12 PM MDT

I will only answer to the positive: yes, it has, as I have forged various friendships - you included - out of positive interactions online.  As for the negative, I will pass as those kinds of things aren't worth it and I would rather dwell on the positive.

July 27, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

I enjoy interacting.  But I don't worry about any negitive comments...

July 27, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

Bottom line, words can hurt regardless of where they come from.

July 27, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

• We think a like Rosie!  :)  

July 28, 2016 1:54 AM MDT

Why? You expect perfect in other people then? Perfect doesn't exist. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.

July 28, 2016 3:18 AM MDT

((hugs)) Me too. I have forged some grand friendships between Answerbag and Answermug. As for anything harming me? Only if I let it which I don't. Thank you for your reply elizabeth and Happy Thursday! What a nice surprise seeing you here m'dear!  :)

July 28, 2016 3:21 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c.  An internet social site cannot possibly cause you harm unless you allow it do so. Happy Thursday.

July 28, 2016 3:22 AM MDT

So nice that you focus on the positive m'dear. An internet social site cannot possibly harm you unless you allow it to do so. Thank you for your reply  PeaPod and Happy Thursday! :)

July 28, 2016 3:24 AM MDT

:):):)  Seems so doesn't it sweetie? Happy Thursday to thee LC!

July 28, 2016 3:26 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Sharonna and Happy Thursday! :)

July 28, 2016 3:27 AM MDT

July 28, 2016 3:40 AM MDT

Why on earth would you care what someone who is a complete stranger  who doesn't even know you says to you or about you? They are operating from abject ignorance. If you allow anything from such a source to hurt you I would question why? Now if a dear friend or relative says something that hurts you that is entirely different. They KNOW you. So we disagree. Thank you for your reply onion and Happy Thursday! :)

July 28, 2016 3:50 AM MDT