Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Emotions » In the throes of grief people may say things they regret. Emotion-free folks never regret anything. Is regret valuable or worthless? Why?

In the throes of grief people may say things they regret. Emotion-free folks never regret anything. Is regret valuable or worthless? Why?

Posted - October 23, 2017

Responses

there's no such thing as "emotion free folk".  ALL people have emotions.  Some people are able to suppress certain outwards expressions of emotions, but they still have them.  ALL people regret something (if they say otherwise they're lying (especially to themselves).
    Is regret valuable?  Depends.  if one uses their regret so that they don't commit action ( that was stupid, I wont do it again) or miss an opportunity (makes you more apt to see one) then it's good.  However, if one just stews in their regret then it is not helpful and can actually become detrimental (depression?).  After all, no one can go back and change something they did or didn't do - no matter how much they stew over it.  
      October 23, 2017 9:50 AM MDT

Really" Hmm. You could have fooled me shuhak. Take Donald John Trump. Other than love of self and attacking people who don't kiss his a** what emotion have you seen from him? Love? Compassion? Sympathy? Empathy? Caring? Understanding? He thrives on conflict/strife/contentious attacks. He is  negatively reactive all the time and it don't make no never mind whom he targets. They are all equal in his eyes and he wants to take them down, destroy them, crush them. He reacts with hate consistently. I admit that is an emotion but he does it automatically. He doesn't "feel" anything. He just reacts predictably. In my opinion. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Monday.
      October 23, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

Mr. Trump does indeed have emotions.  Unfortunately many of them are directed inward (he loves himself, he cares about himself and his money, he's angry because he doesn't get his way, etc.).  Mr Trump's ego is his biggest shortcoming.  I believe he wants to do what's best, but his pride won't let him.  He has to put himself first and his ego won't let him admit he's wrong - about anything (#2+2=5). 
    A good leader puts their citizens welfare before their own (history has proved this).  Leaders who put themselves or their pride ahead of their citizens usually end up doing more damage than good and can even lead to the downfall of nation.  Mr. Trump may actually think that he's putting America first, but in reality he's only putting Mr. Trump first.  His ego blinds him to the truth that the rest of the world plainly sees.

October 23, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

You think he really wants to do what's best? For whom? Not the country. Not the people. He is only interested is riling up his base to support him. Everything is always about him. Nothing is ever about anyone else. The fact that his supporters admire him for that is a puzzlement. Maybe one day there will be college courses dissecting him. I dunno. Every day he becomes more boring because he keeps repeating himself only it's about something else. You can count on it. He is one-dimensional and superficial and predictable. People LOVE that about him. The people who support him. Not my cuppa tea. Thank you for your thoughtful reply shuhak! :)
      October 24, 2017 2:28 AM MDT

I truly believe that he, in his own warped sense of reality, thinks that he's doing what's best.  Of course it's what's best for him, that's what businessmen do.  Money comes first.  There's hardly a successful business person out there who doesn't put money and power ahead of everything else (no matter what they may say or what fancy airs they put on).  NASd Trump is making sure to surround himself with other businessmen so that they will be appeased and perhaps send money his way (now or in the future).  And his ego is so inflated that it's a wonder he doesn't float away (I don't think his current wife can stand him).
    Please note that I am not pro-Trump nor anti-Trump.  I respect his position (president) and him (as he holds said title), however that doesn't mean I agree with him. 
      October 24, 2017 10:23 AM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful and reasonable analysis shuhak. I can't respect the position/title of president since I do not respect the person who currently holds it nor do I believe that the way he "won" was on the up and up. We will never know how much all the meddling changed people's views and thus changed for whom they voted.  But it did have an impact. All the lies and trolls and fake news and fake people and junky crappy conspiracy theories that were floated by Russians in collusion with Americans who wanted Trump to be prez.   Setting that aside I don't know whom I would be if I were extremely wealthy. I could be someone entirely different with different attitudes and political views. There is no way for me to know how having all the money I would ever need would shape me.  Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 25, 2017 2:46 AM MDT

I agree, the way he "won" was not legit.  Nor do I believe that he's completely innocent of collusion with Russia.  Personally, I think he's an idiot who doesn't have a clue how to run a country and is blinded to the fact that everything he does as "president" reflects on the entire nation not just himself.  However,  I'm a Christian and I try to follow biblical teachings.  And it teaches us to honor those in authority (leaders, rulers, etc.).  This is why I respect his position and him (only in that he holds the title of president). It does NOT mean that I agree with him, condone his actions or that I wouldn't like to see him replaced with a more competent person (because I would).
      October 25, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

I cannot respect someone I don't trust.  I cannot respect liars. I cannot respect those who attack/insult/harm others.The only dependable thing about him is that he will lie every time he opens his mouth; he will make everything about him; he will take credit for things he didn't do and praise himself mightily because he really believes he is that great and feels victimized when others can't see his greatness. Those who support  hhim enable him to continue believing all that gibberish malarky. Now if his base pulled away and no one attended his rallies I wonder what he would do? It  would be dramatic and attention-getting. Maybe start a war? Why not? He hasn't done that yet. Thank you for your reply shuhak. I'm a Christian too. This is what I believe. "What ye do to the least of mine ye do to me". "Love thy neighbor". "The meek shall inherit the earth".  "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven". I'm not sure if those are the exact words but you get my drift. I do not honor dishonorable people by respecting them. When I was a  youngster I was taught to honor old people, teachers, cops, "important" officials. That was before I encountered The Donald John. There is not one thing about him I respect. Not one.  So I guess we see things differently but so what? Right?
      October 26, 2017 3:41 AM MDT

As I said, I only "respect" him in that he holds the position of president (which is, or at least was, a respectful position).  Perhaps 'respect' is the wrong word.  I simply mean that I don't wish him ill (as in, I hope he dies or breaks a leg).
    I think DT's an arrogant, egotistical, lying, money-loving jerk who's destroying America.  He's succeeded in dividing it like no one has since the civil war.  I just hope this country can stand (exist) until he is removed (legally)

Everyone sees something differently than another person does, be it religion, politics, how to paint a house, or whatever.  Each person sees things from their own unique perspective.  That's no reason for anyone not to get along.  Seeing things from only one viewpoint prevents intellectual growth.  I believe that people who disagree should state/argue their point , but in a loving (non superior) manner.  It's a way for us to broaden our minds.
      October 26, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

I don't wish any ill on him at all shuhak. I just want him GONE from politics.  I don't want him in the spotlight congratulating himself on a daily basis about how wonderful he is. I await that day. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      October 27, 2017 1:24 AM MDT

To be honest... (I would like him gone from politics too).
      October 27, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

I wonder how many of us there are shuhak who feel/think as we do?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      October 28, 2017 2:45 AM MDT

Regret is valuable and indicative in normal people.  Not so useful if the person is a BP/NP.

Interesting site to refer to along with your question:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-caretaking-the-borderline-or-narcissist/201507/regret-vs-remorse

October 25, 2017 12:40 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply tj and the link.
      October 26, 2017 3:41 AM MDT