Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Military » All wealthy young men didn't get military deferments. I'm sure there are some of them at Arlington National Cemetery who were rich. Right?

All wealthy young men didn't get military deferments. I'm sure there are some of them at Arlington National Cemetery who were rich. Right?

So what is it that causes some rich guys to WANT to serve their country in wars on foreign battlefields  and die while others find ways to avoid doing so? Bravery? Temperament?

Posted - October 23, 2017

Responses

Pat Tillman comes to mind. Highly paid NFL player.
      October 23, 2017 11:28 AM MDT

Yes. Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Tuesday.
      October 24, 2017 2:02 AM MDT

Seems many folks think there are no rich people in foxholes just as there are no atheists and Pat is a good example of both.
    “Hold your spiritual bromides . . . Pat isn't with God. He's f-ing dead. He wasn't religious. So thank you for your thoughts, but he's f-ing dead.”

—Brother Richard Tillman at his brother's memorial service, San Francisco Chronicle, May 4, 2004

October 23, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply mom and the graphic. To each his own. I like the part of the gravestone about hoping that in the future mankind may learn to avoid all war. As for the rest of it? Not my cuppa tea particularly. I never associate a dead soldier's personal religious beliefs with his/her valor and service to our country and that said soldier gave his/her life for our country. I think religion is completely irrelevant in such a setting. The soldier died on a battlefield protecting our country. Period. Just my opinion. I don't think a graveyard is the proper place to proselytize for or against religion. A graveyard is a sober and somber and sad place. Throwing in political or religious views serves whom? Happy Tuesday!
      October 24, 2017 1:58 AM MDT

I could not agree more, religion is completely irrelevant yet this is the end result.
      October 24, 2017 4:35 AM MDT

I cannot understand how anyone could not be deeply shaken/moved/pained to see this mom. It is beyond words and there they rest for eternity or until someone finds a way to blow up earth. Maybe this photo should be shown on every news channel in every market once a day forever. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for providing it. All those precious lives and all their loved ones who grieve/grieved. SIGH. More to come, right? Thank you for your reply m'dear!
      October 25, 2017 5:30 AM MDT

Rosie, what makes it worse is that there are even more on the losing side.
      October 25, 2017 2:47 PM MDT

Thank you for reminding me of that m'dear. You are absolutely right of course! Making it sadder still. I wonder if a day will ever come when human beings collectively decide that war is he** and they no longer want any part of it? I think I'm gonna ask that question. SIGH. Thank you for your insight mom and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 26, 2017 2:01 AM MDT

I have personally been to Arlington Cemetery. Believe this, NOTHING, NOT EVEN MY WORDS HERE can describe just how large, how hilly, and VAST that place is. There's people from all walks of life in there. Don't make the mistake of going with babies and strollers like I did. Pfft. 
      October 23, 2017 8:05 PM MDT

I have seen photos of it on TV righty and its size ALWAYS shocks me. You've been there. It must have been an awesome experience...I don't mean awesomely splendid but you must have been awed by its vastness and significance. This is not comparable but I remember years ago a friend and I visited Valley Forge. I will never forget it. Thank you for sharing your experience and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 24, 2017 1:51 AM MDT

Yeah, it really was a great place to experience. I just wish it was less arduous. :)
      October 25, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

Having just seen photos I wish it weren't so enormously huge. I mean each person there left a grieving family and friends. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday righty! :)
      October 26, 2017 1:38 AM MDT

Joe, Jr. and JFK, although Joe isn't buried in Arlington because his remains were never recovered. 
      October 24, 2017 2:24 AM MDT

I did not know that about Joe Jr. B. How sad is that? Like the current widow not being allowed to see her husband. The casket was not opened.That will probably haunt her forever. Thank you for your reply and Happy  Thursday!
      October 26, 2017 1:40 AM MDT

Perhaps it is believing in what they are fighting for. During the war in Viet Nam, young men from all walks of life used every possible way to avoid being drafted. The day before they took away the marriage deferment, there were long lines at the courthouse of couples getting married; some men fled to Canada;at one time they could join the National Guard, or get a student deferment, or have orthodontia (the army won't take people wearing braces). Men who could legitimately get a medical deferment were happy about it.  
      October 24, 2017 4:04 AM MDT

Viet Nam was a totally useless waste of time. I joined the Navy to stay away from it.
      October 24, 2017 1:44 PM MDT