Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » Does it take beaucoup bucks and powerful associations to dodge the draft or can the poor ordinary folks draft dodge too?

Does it take beaucoup bucks and powerful associations to dodge the draft or can the poor ordinary folks draft dodge too?

Posted - October 24, 2017

Responses

What "draft" would that be ? The USA doesn't have a draft in effect at the moment
      October 24, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

Go back to pre-Revolution ... as colonies ruled by England.
    The wealthy were able to hire surrogates to go in their place.
    Of course, if they did enlist - they could purchase officer ranks, but were expected to use their wealth to purchase better equipment for their men.

Can the poor avoid the draft?
    Sure.  Just go to another country.
      October 24, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

Yes, that's what Canada is for.  This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 24, 2017 12:04 PM MDT
      October 24, 2017 12:03 PM MDT

I did not know that Walt. That is a very interesting bit of historical fact. I suppose the wealthy can always buy anything/anyone they need/want. That's the main benefit of wealth isn't it? Thank you for your informative and helpful reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 25, 2017 2:35 AM MDT

Back in the Viet Nam War era, Uncle Sam requested a physical from me. I was not rich but had a good doctor who laid it on the line ------------ "Uncle Sam, this boy is not one you want to fight your battles. At age 5, he became critically ill with a cerebral hemorrhage. He survived, and is like one in a million to do so. I would point out that he could have another hemorrhage in his brain at any time. " 
      October 24, 2017 12:26 PM MDT

Are you living with that possibility still bh? You could have a brain hemorrhage at any time? Geez that's tough. Thank you for your thoughtful and information reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 25, 2017 2:33 AM MDT

If you are talking about the US, the last draft I recall was during the Vietnam war. You were around then too, Rosie, so you should be able to remember how many men, rich and poor, found ways to get out of serving in a war that they thought was wrong.  Remember how President Carter gave unconditional pardons to hundreds of thousands who fled to Canada or failed to register in order to evade the draft? Perhaps it didn't touch you personally, as it did me, but it still was the big news story of the day.
      October 25, 2017 5:18 AM MDT