Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Military » What level of education is required to become a General? High School diploma? College Degree? Master's?

What level of education is required to become a General? High School diploma? College Degree? Master's?

OR do they just need to have a pulse and be able to read? Is it different among the various branches of service?

Posted - November 1, 2017

Responses

There are programs by which an enlisted man/woman can eventially become a Commissioned Officer and  become a General or Admiral. regardless of their education. Here are some examples.
    https://militaryhistorynow.com/2016/04/01/mustangs-famous-generals-that-rose-from-the-ranks/
      November 1, 2017 7:26 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Ele  and the link. Why I asked is  because General Kelly apparently doesn't know that the Civil War was fought because part of America wanted to keep slavery as-is and part of America wanted it abandoned entirely. Now I expect a 4-star general to KNOW that. Don't you? Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 1, 2017 8:28 AM MDT
      November 1, 2017 8:28 AM MDT

you probably get that education in the military
      November 1, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

One can. I applied for one of the programs, but then decide to pull my application.
      November 8, 2017 8:06 AM MST

I can only speak as to the Canadian armed forces but in order to be an officer of any rank, you must have a university degree.
      November 8, 2017 7:47 AM MST