Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Family » What makes someone a good parent? Are there certain common traits they share? Which?

What makes someone a good parent? Are there certain common traits they share? Which?

Posted - November 3, 2017

Responses

when they do a good job with their kids
      November 3, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

• you can't be lazy, cause it's hard work. You cannot be apathetic or passive, as it requires a lot of action. You listen as much as you talk. You won't make it without love and commitment. It requires consistency and discipline. There are no guarantees, nor is there an owner's manual to refer to when trouble starts. You better live with the understanding that your actions impact those you raise in ways you can't grasp. You do these things from a heart of love and hope that it all works out. Patience is essential to weather the storm. 
      November 3, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

Remember all the flak Michelle Obama got when she planted a vegetable garden for kids so they could see where food comes from and also advocated exercise for them?. I never understood the why of that. Did you?  I think the Trumps dug that garden up but I'm not certain of that. Some folks became almost enraged that Michelle would DARE to tell them how to provide a better environment for their kids. I'm gonna ask that question ub. I always tried to do right by my son and I was always open to better ways of doing things. There is no trial period or probationary period or training period available. You learn on the job and sometimes you screw up.  I personally think parents need all the help they can get. Thank you for your reply. See? That wasn't so bad was it?  :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 7, 2018 3:44 AM MST
      February 7, 2018 3:44 AM MST

Good parenting involves not just talking to a child, but also setting a good example. It may involve endless hours of gently persuading them to know the difference between right from wrong. Each child is a twenty year project. (Proverbs 22:6) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at February 7, 2018 3:37 AM MST
      February 6, 2018 10:48 PM MST

Some parents actually parent their children while some just let them grow up on their own hooked up to TV sets or cell phones or computers. Some parents raise children that are obese and vulerable to diseases and get irate if anyone tells them about good nutrition and exercise. I dunno Autumn. Parents think they own their kids and can do whatever they want with them and are very annoyed at anyone outsider commenting on it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      February 7, 2018 3:39 AM MST