Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Quid pro quo is a NO NO. Giving something of value and receiving something in exchange is a NO NO. Isn't it bribery?

Quid pro quo is a NO NO. Giving something of value and receiving something in exchange is a NO NO. Isn't it bribery?

I am not talking about going to a store and exchanging assets. You pay money (your asset) to buy what the store has to sell (its asset). I am talking about doing something for someone that is illegal or immoral and expecting to get something in return for it that you don't deserve and haven't earned honestly in return.

Posted - November 14, 2017

Responses

But is wrong to assume that in itself it is illegal or immoral.  When in fact it is just bartering which is how much of the world works.  You fix my printer and I will give you dinner.  You help my grandson get a job at a certain company and I will sponsor your grandson for membership in my country club.  And so on.   A system of favors and counterfavors.  Who is to say what we "deserve" or have "earned"?  Sometimes we get things by making a deal for them. 
      November 14, 2017 8:42 AM MST

• Cash, stash, or gash I  don't give nuthin' without somethin'
      November 14, 2017 8:47 AM MST

This is one of the many problems I have with the American legal system.

It makes it illegal for people to sell things that belong to them (IE: prostitution).

It also punishes people for doing business overseas, in accord with the traditions of foreign countries.
    In many countries, bribery is a way of life in business.  If it happens overseas, under what legitimate authority does the US punish people?
      November 14, 2017 8:59 AM MST

• There's some truth to what you say.  How it works and what constitutes corruption here might be the name of the game and on the legal and social up and up in another place.
    People forget or refuse to acknowledge that business is amoral at it's core and ethics are purely subjective to certain prewritten and accepted modes of behaviour.
      November 14, 2017 9:18 AM MST