Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Should cutting down Pine trees for Christmas be stopped as a crime?

Should cutting down Pine trees for Christmas be stopped as a crime?

So many trees wasted then trashed 3 days later, something is not right  with this.

Posted - November 20, 2017

Responses

Christmas trees are grown for the purpose of so no loss. Same principle as livestock humans butcher for food. No more wrong than a bucket of drumsticks. This post was edited by O-uknow at November 20, 2017 7:21 AM MST
      November 20, 2017 2:08 AM MST

Right on. And thanksgiving should be celebrated with a vegetarian meal instead of a mass-murder of turkeys
      November 20, 2017 3:18 AM MST

Yummy...Tofu turkey.
      November 20, 2017 6:57 AM MST

• No.  Pine trees are fast growing and they are grown on dedicated Christmas tree farms.  In reality these  places make top notch habitat for lots of wildlife and help makle land profitable while keeping it somewhat wild.   If you look into it Christmas trees are actually very green and environmentally friendly.

Though people should forgo the Mylar tinsel and make sure they recycle the tree or dispose of it in a way it doesn't end up in landfill. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 20, 2017 10:19 PM MST
      November 20, 2017 7:24 AM MST

Christmas trees are planted specifically for that purpose and, in my city, they are put into a wood chipper when thrown out and the mulch is available for people to come and get it free.
      November 20, 2017 10:52 AM MST

No dear; now go do your homework.
      November 20, 2017 10:53 AM MST

Only three days though?

I'd always known Christmas as Twelve Days with the first being Christmas Day itself. You put up the tree and decorations on Christmas Eve (theoretically, but in practice often a few days or so earlier so it's not all a big rush); but remove them on or before Twelfth Night.  

A lot of people now use artificial trees, some absurdly black instead of green, but I wonder... yes they last indefinitely but are they environmentally friendlier than real plants grown as crops for the purpose?

As for pine forests being good for the environment, that's debateable when you see great areas of what were open fells and moors covered in softwood monoculture, even though most of that is grown to maturity for sawn timber, not picked as saplings for Christmas .   
      November 20, 2017 4:00 PM MST