Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Is the best way for a man to look like a million dollars is to have a million dollars?

Is the best way for a man to look like a million dollars is to have a million dollars?

Posted - November 23, 2017

Responses

Nah. If I had a million, I would still wear my scruffy sweat suits and hoodie everywhere. I forgot to post this.

This post was edited by Element 99 at November 23, 2017 1:37 PM MST
      November 23, 2017 7:30 AM MST

• To answer your question I would say NO! There are rich people who look poor and there are poor people who look like a million. If I would be able to  identify a millionare by his clothing, he would get many minus points from me. An old quote in Germany says: Kleider machen Leute ( Clothing makes richer people). In modern times it is not valid anymore. Just look at Mr. Zuckerberg and his hoodie coat.
      November 23, 2017 9:53 AM MST

I have forgotten much of the Deutsche I learned but where is the word reicheren in the saying? Just curious.
      November 23, 2017 10:25 AM MST

• You are right, 99. I translated it very sloppy. People is just normal folks and Leute in Germany means important ones, at least in the old sense of the word. Now you inticed me to search for the meaning of Leute - haha - in my native language. I love this kind of interaction in forums. So far I learned a lot via my internet friends.
      November 23, 2017 10:35 AM MST

I learned it as Leute, but my teacher was old school and that was 48 years ago.
      November 23, 2017 10:42 AM MST

•  Menschen, Personen, Leute - these 3 words can be interchanged, but only in certain ways.  in German Leute has more the meaning of certain groups, which in the quote would explain what I translated. As you might know, German is very complex and difficult to learn. So is Latin, which I learned for 3 years.
      November 23, 2017 10:52 AM MST

I actually thought it was easy to learn...at least conversational and I only studied for four years. I did not get the opportunity to further my studies in collage as I joined the Navy to avoid Vietnam. I had an Austrian student who said English was easier to learn than German. The Grandfather spoke Hebrew, Russian, German, Polish, Yiddish and, of course, English. Unfortunately, I never got to meet him.
      November 24, 2017 7:01 AM MST

• I had 2 years of English in school which gave me the basics for my future. English was easy to learn, maybe for me having had 3 years of Latin, most English is Latin rooted. Since Holland was our German neighbor and we made lots of vacations at the west coast south of Rotterdam, I can translate their language by reading it. I also can read French with almost correct pronouncing, even though I never learned it. I had 1 year of Russian in school when Germany was divided, but I just can recall only fragments . Now we watching some Mexican channels on TV - and you guessed it - one third of what is said I can understand because of Latin.  You have written in a post above: I have forgotten much of the Deutsche. You should have added language on the end or write it alternatively : I have forgotten much of Deutsch. I know you better than being afraid you don't like me anymore because of my "teaching". Just to show you what I meant, Once I was reading an article from a non-navtive in Germany, who wrote : Das folgende ist das Obst meiner Arbeit. I laughed out loud. He meant of course Frucht meiner Arbeit. Do you know that I wrote a little book and published it about my childhood? I went through a lot of hardship and  I missed a lot of school and later on had to earn some money and had to quit school. I will give you the link to a special page in my website:   https://karinbartsch.weebly.com/karin-the-author.html This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 24, 2017 9:41 AM MST
      November 24, 2017 9:34 AM MST

Sure. I don't have a website...My life was quite boring other than my 20 years in the US Navy and teaching science for 20 years. I also studied Russian. The vocabulary was difficult...I used to say I could speak it well enough to get arrested.
      November 24, 2017 9:44 AM MST

• Being a USA citizen now I thank you for serving. My elementary teacher told me to study to be a teacher. It was not meant to be. Circumstances in life crush dreams very often......
      November 24, 2017 9:53 AM MST

The richer you are the more attractive to women you become.
      November 23, 2017 12:54 PM MST

• Maybe not so much attractive to the person or character but more to the wallet?? When one would be very rich, could one tell for sure she loves the man or his money? 
      November 23, 2017 1:03 PM MST

November 23, 2017 12:53 PM MST

maybe not huh?
    especially Element 99 right?
      November 23, 2017 7:48 AM MST

November 23, 2017 12:54 PM MST

Not so sure, Baba. My current wife really liked the fact that I had a steady, well paying job, free health insurance, and, at the time, some money set aside for future use. Not a millionaire, but better than she had in the past.
      November 24, 2017 7:04 AM MST

No...he must have money...but looks matter too...I'm greedy...maybe;))
      November 23, 2017 1:38 PM MST

• But you must have good luck to find money and good looks together. And if - there might be missing some important ingredients for a loving relationship.

November 23, 2017 3:51 PM MST