Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » There seem to be lots of babies and children who are trapped in "adult" bodies. They are expected to be and act "grown up". How can they?

There seem to be lots of babies and children who are trapped in "adult" bodies. They are expected to be and act "grown up". How can they?

A scientific phenomenon to be sure. The body grows older but the within stays the same. So when apparent "grownups" have hissy fits and rant and rave hysterically it's just your average two-year-old having another tantrum. We expect way too much of them. They need to be branded or labeled to differentiate them from actual adults. A humane way. Painless. Someplace the brand will always show though. We need to know what we are dealing with and a covering up of the brand would be a grave disservice to them.

Posted - November 27, 2017

Responses

I believe you mean "immature".   Time never equals maturity (nor age wisdom).  Sadly, a lot of the problem can be placed on parents and the school system. 
    * One can't mature if they're never disciplined (what's right and what's wrong?).  To paraphrase the old proverb - "Those who don’t correct their children hate them. But those who love them are careful to correct them."  Too many parents nowadays refuse to discipline their children.  They give excuses such as - "I don't believe in punishment", or "it's wrong to punish a child", or "my parents were too strict with me and I'll never do that to my children".  The result? Spoiled brats!  Adults who don't know right from wrong ("it's all good").   I'm talking about the overall majority here, not certain individuals.

* One can't mature when everything they do is considered "ok".  Kids are told, "everyone's a winner", or  "Your team didn't lose, they came in second",or "Here's a trophy just for trying".  If you're going to "win" no matter the outcome, why bother giving your all?  Don't bother training, you're going to win anyhow.  I assure you this philosophy doesn't work when trying to get a job or a raise i n pay.
    In school kids aren't graded on effort or ability, but on participation.  If every child is given an "A" just because they showed up to class, how does the teacher know if they've learned the material?  The result is an uneducated population.  Is a certain subject too hard?  Are most of the kids failing in it?  Then get rid of that subject and teach an easier one that everyone can "pass" instead.  

* One cannot mature if everything's owed to them.  They never learn responsibility.  Responsibility = value.  The more one values something the more they will be responsible for it.  Things that are given or owed to someone have little value to that person.  If a parent always gives a child an allowance - no matter what they do or don't do - the child comes to expect it.  Then if it's withheld they throw a fit ("you owe me an allowance").  So when these kids become adults, they think the world owes them a living (what, we have to 'work' to get paid??

There're many immature "adults" in the world... and they teach their kids to be just like them (via action or words).
      November 27, 2017 2:32 PM MST

Immature is a fine word. Arrested development works too. Stunted growth. There are a variety of ways to descri e such folks.  Parents are the first "teachers" a child has and also they are role models whether or not they want to be. So kids just follow what they see. Now some parents are fine people and the kids just never quite "got it". "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree". I think that is mostly true shuhak. We live what we were taught. Most of us. There are some who break away and follow their own paths in life because the path of their parents is not for them. But if they grow up in an environment where they get whatever they want...are told how fine they are and how much better they are than everyone else...are indulged in all ways then they are hobbled for life if they believe it. Being a parent is easy. Being a GOOD parent is not. Many folks take the easy way out. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      November 28, 2017 2:36 AM MST