Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Being a parent is easy. Being a GOOD parent is the hardest job in the world. Some folks are lazy and take the easy route. Do you?

Being a parent is easy. Being a GOOD parent is the hardest job in the world. Some folks are lazy and take the easy route. Do you?

Posted - November 28, 2017

Responses

• I think for the most part I didn't take the "Easy route."
    I gave up a full-time job so I could work part-time and be home with my son when he was little
    I never spanked him.
    I actually gave him time outs and sat on the floor with him and talked about whatever his issue was and made sure that he understood the problem before his time out could be over or he would lose toys if he continued to be difficult.
    That takes patience to talk to them rather than just hit them.
    Time outs work, but you have to drop everything and commit to it.
    I'm proud that I took the time to do that.

Other than that I drive him to school and pick him up just about everyday.
    I'm usually with him any day that he's sick.
    He was scared of the dark so I used to sleep on an air mattress on the floor at the foot of his bed for years to make him happy.
    I've spent a lot of time with him since the day he was born.
    I even take him to work with me sometimes if his mom is not around.
    I try my best, but I have bad days too when I'm not organized or I lose my patience with him or I let him eat junk food when he didn't finish his supper or he gets to bed too late.
    Being a parent is a 24 hour a day all year long job and some days I get tired, but I make sure he's safe and fed and warm and cared for.
    I love him very much.
      November 28, 2017 3:25 AM MST

((hugs)) I only spanked my son ONCE. He was 3. I still remember the terror in his eyes and I will always regret it. All spanking does  is let a child know that when he/she is an adult physical violence will be OK. It never is OK. Spanking is child abuse no matter those who spank try to justify it. Thank you for your very personal and thoughtful reply Truthseeker. I know you are a great dad!
      November 28, 2017 3:59 AM MST

• Aww...thank you.
    That means a lot to me. 
    : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 28, 2017 9:40 AM MST
      November 28, 2017 9:39 AM MST

Being a parent is never easy, much less a good one. A parent needs to understand a child has not only physical, and emotional needs, more importantly that child has spiritual needs. 
      December 5, 2017 11:19 PM MST