Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » I've heard of flying fish. Never heard of a bird that swims. Have you? Wonder why fish can fly?

I've heard of flying fish. Never heard of a bird that swims. Have you? Wonder why fish can fly?

Posted - November 28, 2017

Responses

Good Morning Rosie and quite a windy one it is at my house.  The birds might have trouble flying and certainly would be safer if they were swimming.  Surely you know of these types of birds.  They are some of my favorites. :)  Here are a few examples:

Sea birds called the Gannet are the best diving birds. these birds can dive as deep as 30 metre. These birds have 2 metre wingspan which converge into streamlined aerodynamic shape which give them a perfect dive. As they dive from high altitudes with aerodynamic body, they have very high speed which results in tremendous force acting upon their head. This enormous can break any bird's skull. To...

(more)
    This is called "surface diving." These include loonsgrebes,coots, many species of duckscormorantsalcids (murres,murreletspuffinsauklets, and guillemots) and probably others that I'm forgetting. (Grebes and coots can fly, but they generally prefer to swim or walk.

What types of birds both fly and dive into water that also live in ... - Quora

https://www.quora.com/What-types-of-birds-both-fly-and-dive-into-water-that-also-live-...

Image result

November 28, 2017 3:42 AM MST

No my friend I did not know of them! Thank you for an awesomely thoughtful and informative answer Merlin! I appreciate it. I love the graphic as well! Happy Tuesday! ((hugs))
      November 28, 2017 3:55 AM MST

Hugs and loves!  Love, Merlin  Happy Tuesday to you too and please don't blow away.  If Merlin wasn't by my side to guide me through such a wind storm, I'd feel like Dorothy screaming out, "Auntie Em!  Auntie Em!"
    Giggles, Winks and Smiles! Take Care Sweets! ;) ;)
      November 28, 2017 4:01 AM MST

Before I crawl into bed with Don for a mere 21/2 hours when we both have to get up for work (why we do this to ourselves, I'll never know.. yes I do, work! I'm rambling.  I'm tired.  Sorry)  What I was saying was, there are these birds and I can't remember their name but I call them praying birds.  They live at the ocean and are blackish in color.  When we lived in Oxnard, Chance and I would see them every morning on the docks drying off their wings. They look like they are praying to the Universe and sun.  They are swimming and flying birds.  They are really cool.  You might like them.  Take Care, and I'm signing off! Love, Merlin
      November 28, 2017 4:08 AM MST

Penguins can swim...AND fly. Flying fish glide above the waves when they are being pursued.

This post was edited by Element 99 at November 29, 2017 11:09 AM MST
      November 28, 2017 8:24 AM MST

April fool.
      November 28, 2017 5:02 PM MST

One of my favorite short videos.
      November 29, 2017 7:09 AM MST

Yes it was quite convincing but would have been even better if they could have talked David attenborough into doing it.
      November 29, 2017 7:46 AM MST

You never heard of a bird that swims. 

Birds swim a hell of a lot better than fish that fly.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 29, 2017 11:11 AM MST
      November 28, 2017 8:25 AM MST

November 28, 2017 5:16 PM MST

• Apparently you never hear of ducks, swans, geese, loons, penguins, or over a third of the avian species. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 29, 2017 11:11 AM MST
      November 28, 2017 5:53 PM MST

Shearwaters can swim a lot better than I can.

Shearwaters come to islands and coastal cliffs only to breed. They are nocturnal at the colonial breeding sites, preferring moonless nights to minimize predation. They nest in burrows and often give eerie contact calls on their night-time visits. They lay a single white egg.

They feed on fish, squid, and similar oceanic food. Some will follow fishing boats to take scraps, commonly the sooty shearwater; these species also commonly follow whales to feed on fish disturbed by them. Their primary feeding technique is diving, with some species diving to depths of 70 m (230 ft).

November 28, 2017 5:59 PM MST