Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Why do some comments require an approval before everyone can see? I'm sure this has been asked before.

Why do some comments require an approval before everyone can see? I'm sure this has been asked before.

* not looking for attacks on members, simply to understand the reasoning 

Posted - July 30, 2016

Responses

It is a question about how the OP has posted their contribution. Within the blogs it's possible to limit others for commenting, or they can choose to approve first. It can be sued out of various reasons.
      July 30, 2016 5:51 AM MDT

I'm not sure what you mean. What approval?
    ~
      July 30, 2016 6:42 AM MDT

It will very much depend on who they are, and what you said if your comment will be approved. Some post their blogs to provoke and aren't really that open to discuss them and what they shared.

July 30, 2016 7:00 AM MDT

Thanks for the clarification, All. I'm not familiar with the blog traffic.
    ~
      July 30, 2016 7:12 AM MDT

• I'm not sure I understand the question fully.  

If you are talking about comments on profiles, in your "Privacy" settings, there is an option that allows you to choose to "approve" comments" before they are added to your Home page...

In Blogs, you can choose to allow comments or not, but I don;t see an option to "Approve" comments first

July 30, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

Hello all:

I think it's a switch that needs to be disabled..  If you're afraid of comments on a Q & A site, you're on the WRONG site.

excon

July 30, 2016 9:44 AM MDT

I think that's implied, but like you I'm not sure.

In any case having the ability to censor malcontents on a user by user basis seems like a good feature to me.

July 30, 2016 1:02 PM MDT

• It's excellent because it gives people an option to block trolls, stalkers and harassment.

August 2, 2016 1:25 AM MDT

•   August 2, 2016 1:27 AM MDT

• I agree with you about comments on Home pages, but disagree with you about all other content posted.

It's my position that any time anything is posted openly, whether it a Statement, BLog, Question, Picture, Video, etc., the members should have 100% access to that comment and be capable of commenting.

Censoring malcontents on a user by user does seeem ok at face value, but the probability of that being misued is very high.  Personal profiles I have no issue with because you can manage who has access to to see your page.

August 2, 2016 10:34 AM MDT

• That's true, but trolling, stalking, and harassment is prohibited by the site.

If you encounter that type of behavior, you should contact a Moderator or JA.

August 2, 2016 10:35 AM MDT

People like to filter out negative responses and color themselves pretty. It builds self importance. Also if youre having trouble with particular people you can keep them from instigating arguments.
      August 2, 2016 10:43 AM MDT

Uh YES like all day yesterday.

August 2, 2016 10:43 AM MDT

• I don't restrict comments on things I write.

But I know that some people feel differently.

If I were very devout and posted something sacred, or something deeply personal like grief,

I would not want people slinging atheist arguments at my post, or trashing the memory of my loved one.

Although the real trolls do get taken out very quickly, it's impossible for JA to monitor everything, so I think an option for protecting one's feelings is a good idea.

I agree that all tools can be misused, and given human nature, will be misused at times.

But I like the way this site seems to be developing. There's a lot of silliness, some of it quite funny, but every so often someone comes up with a really great question and good conversations build from it. Or someone makes a good blog and talk flows from that. Bit by bit we're improving.

I think if people can't block what hurts, we risk running the same path as EP.

If we keep the tools, we get to see if it can evolve differently.

August 3, 2016 12:44 PM MDT