Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How much do you rely on movie/theater/literary or food critics before you decide on anything? Why?

How much do you rely on movie/theater/literary or food critics before you decide on anything? Why?

I mean those who earn a living from doing that. I'm not talking about users of products who report on the internet what their experiences are. I think those are definitely valuable assuming they are NOT being paid for saying bad things by competitors or saying good things by the subject they are commenting about. I have found that to be valuable. As for the others? I don't trust them. You don't know what their tastes are. Whether they have an ax to grind and are engaging in PAYBACK. If THEY are getting paid big bucks to trash someone or rhapsodize about something/someone. I prefer to experience it for myself for myself and never bother with them. What about you? What do YOU do? Why?

Posted - December 5, 2017

Responses

I don't make a move, I don't even budge until I've read at least twenty of your posts every morning. If you're against something or someone, that's my bandwagon for the day. 

December 5, 2017 7:01 AM MST

I noticed you have improved.  Your personality is so much better now. 
      December 5, 2017 11:46 AM MST

• I agree with you about consumer reviews being valuable.
    if I'm thinking about buying a product that could have side effects or other health risks I'll look it up quick and read a few reviews just in case there are multiple reviews saying "STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!"
    I don't care a lot about what movie critics say because sometimes I disagree with them and there's a lot of money involved in those industries.
    I find that certain movies appeal more to those who can relate to them and some of my favorite movies that I've watched over and over didn't get a Golden Globe or Academy Award and some of the most awarded movies were not interesting or entertaining enough for me to even watch them twice so when it comes to movies and music I like to decide for myself whether I think it's good or not. : )

December 5, 2017 11:41 AM MST

That's us too Truthseeker. We see reviews and watch a movie anyway. Sometimes the reviews are solid but most of the time? Junk. We like to test it out ourselves. You can always bail if it's intolerable. But the customer/consumer reviews have been helpful. You check out things due to what the advertisements say and then find out they're being sued or out of 5 stars they get a 1 or 2 with detailed reasons why. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      December 6, 2017 1:42 PM MST

I agree.  I had a friend in a business that was doing better than her competitors.  The competitors would get on the site and bash her in the reviews.

So, that is definitely a factor, having an ax to grind.

It usually is very telling when there are lots of great reviews and a sprinkling of bad ones. 

The restaurant thing usually is very telling because when the food is bad, and there are lots of complaints?  Well, they all didn't get together to complain here.   If they are saying specific complaints over and over, I would steer clear, of course. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 6, 2017 1:43 PM MST
      December 5, 2017 11:45 AM MST

We've checked some things out that sound great and EVERY ONE of them was problematic. Not kidding. So I have found the internet to be very helpful. Probably saved us a ton of money and aggravation. Especially the customer/consumer reviews where they go into detail about what they loved or disliked and rate them. Thank you for your reply Sharon! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 6, 2017 1:45 PM MST
      December 6, 2017 1:45 PM MST

I can do the thinking for myself and don't need any sort of critic to do so.
      December 5, 2017 11:49 AM MST

Ditto. Thank you for your reply  and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 6, 2017 2:06 PM MST
      December 6, 2017 1:46 PM MST