Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Finance » What does the average 'filthy rich' person known to do to help charitable organizations?

What does the average 'filthy rich' person known to do to help charitable organizations?

Posted - December 6, 2017

Responses

• Donate money.  
      December 6, 2017 7:52 AM MST

All of them? Most of them? A few?...
      December 6, 2017 9:50 AM MST

That is your designation.  I have never heard anyone call themselves that. Most of us who are more well off give financial support and serve on boards of such organizations. This post was edited by officegirl at December 6, 2017 10:05 AM MST
      December 6, 2017 9:28 AM MST

'Course nobody would call themselves that but 'filthy' rich or 'stinking' rich etc. are just terms of endearment lesser rich people use to describe the obscenely rich persons. 
      December 6, 2017 11:02 AM MST

How do you define "filthy rich?" However you do, such people are not average.
      December 6, 2017 10:07 AM MST

I know they are not average -they dress well in clothing they scrounge from Sally Ann, bum cigarettes,  never pay for their own newspaper; never give away anything.. there are eccentricly filthy rich people like that but they are sharp business people worth tons.
      December 6, 2017 11:12 AM MST

Do you actually know people who do these things or are you just making a mindless, sweeping generalization to avoid having to, you know, think?
      December 6, 2017 11:15 AM MST

Unca Scrooge and Howard Hughes come to mind. Most of the stinking obscenely rich people are normal but have ambition and the intuitive insight how to make it big. Maybe a little greed and agressiveness helps too. And being sociopathic as well. 
      December 6, 2017 11:45 AM MST

So you only have two examples, one of which isn't even a real person? Just as I supposed, it's a sweeping generalization. Why do you do this? Do you have a point to make?
      December 6, 2017 11:48 AM MST

Cartoon characters are images of real people. That's the point.
      December 6, 2017 12:05 PM MST

OK, even granting that, how do you draw conclusions from only two examples? That's what's known as a small sample size.
      December 6, 2017 12:12 PM MST

Well basically I was just asking what the uh.. rich people do as any kind of charitable giving. Whoever  or whatever they are which I do not really care to know. 
    They give a certain amount in order to reduce their taxes when that works for them.
      December 6, 2017 12:27 PM MST

So you asked a question about people you don't care to know, or apparently know much about? That's a good one. Makes me wonder if you were motivated by a desire to learn something or if there was some other reason.

If tax deductions motivate people to make charitable donations - and it's not only rich (however you define that) people who do so, why is that a problem? Part of what the government does is to provide incentives for citizens to contribute to the greater good of society. Are charitable contributions only valid or valuable if the motivation for making them is pure and doesn't provide any benefit to the contributors?
      December 6, 2017 12:38 PM MST

• No they aren't average people.   There is however an average rich person.   The word average is subjective to whatever subject it's modifying. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 10, 2021 10:14 PM MST
      December 6, 2017 11:16 AM MST