Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » When you were a kid were you a leader, follower or the one the others kids picked on? How is your adult life? The same as it was as a kid?

When you were a kid were you a leader, follower or the one the others kids picked on? How is your adult life? The same as it was as a kid?

Posted - December 8, 2017

Responses

I was neither the leader or the follower. Most of the other kids just left me alone, but I'm sure they talked smack about me behind my back. I guess they realized they couldn't get a reaction from me so I was no fun to pick on. I guess I'm mostly the same, but at work I'm a follower because I'm not the boss and I do what the boss wants because I want my money.
      December 8, 2017 6:34 PM MST

I was a painfully shy loner. I was also a very good student and skipped a couple of grades so I was younger than the others. They thought I was a weird kid which I guess I was. I think I still am. I LOVED school and during summer vacation counted the days until I could go back to school again. My social skills were not that great. As an adult they're somewhat better but I'm still that shy kid who withdraws when I'm uncomfortable. I guess we don't really change that much. In my adult working life I turned down more than one promotion because it involved managing other people. I work best alone on my own. I don't have the patience to manage what others do. It is a thankless job especially when people get involved in petty arguments. AARRGGH! :( . Thank you for your thoughtful reply Patch and Happy Saturday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 9, 2017 4:30 AM MST
      December 9, 2017 4:26 AM MST

My managers have asked me if I'd like to become a manager, too. Maybe someday, but I need more time to build my confidence before I take on such a responsibility.
      December 9, 2017 5:47 AM MST

No was not a "leader" and no was not picked on.  I sort of just hung out with my friends and in those days at least where I grew up there was no viciousness.  Though I had friends I mostly went my own way which has pretty much  always been true. I was not beautiful or pretty or even cute or smart or popular like my friends so I had to develop other dimensions to approach life. 
      December 9, 2017 5:57 AM MST