Active Now

DannyPetti
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » I never heard my mom swear. My dad would say "jessak" which we knew was "jacka**". I don't swear. I asterisk a lot. What do you do? Why?

I never heard my mom swear. My dad would say "jessak" which we knew was "jacka**". I don't swear. I asterisk a lot. What do you do? Why?

Posted - December 11, 2017

Responses

Never heard either of my parents swear.  Or my husband.  My father was on the road selling so he must have been exposed to that but never did at home.  My brothers and I do on occasion but not very often.  Periods of my life I have been with people who did swear a lot so I am pretty inured to it but I try not to engage in that. 
      December 11, 2017 7:16 AM MST

For many years I was the "good" girl/woman and people never swore around me. As if I were to be protected from it because I was too delicate/fragile. One day I used a swear word. I don't remember which one or how old I was at the time but it would have been a very mild benign word. It was probably dam*! You should have seen the shock on people's faces! I kinda enjoyed it. So ever since then I let loose when I feel like it. When I think it. Never the very worst ones of course. But I do say dam*  and  an occasional he**. I don't ever use sh** unless I can asterisk it and I can only do that on the internet. Beyond that I do not venture nor would I want to. Way too disgusting for me. Thank you for your reply.  I heard Jim say "dam*" once or twice and I cannot recall ever hearing my son swear. I guess I'm just an old pottymouth! Oh well. No one is perfect. Right?
      December 11, 2017 7:24 AM MST

Haha people must have been shocked!  I don't asterisk them but guess I feel I can express myself well enough without having to resort to such language. Except as I mentioned on occasion.  Yes I agree can be disgusting. 
      December 11, 2017 7:32 AM MST

It was the funniest thing to me og. The shock. I think I was probably in my early 30's! No kidding! I guess I decided to try something new and it tickled me by that reaction. Now folks don't get shocked. In real life I swear at pols on TV and Jim says "You tell 'em honey". Mostly I asterisk on Answermug as I did on Answerbag before. It tickles me. I like asterisks. In fact early on when I was on Answerbag folks kept telling me that they were all grownups and I didn't need to asterisk. They never understood that I LOVE the appearance of asterisks and I do it for myself. They didn't have a clue. SIGH. Some folks just refuse to understand the simplest things. Thank you for your reply og! This was fun! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 11, 2017 7:44 AM MST
      December 11, 2017 7:43 AM MST

I swear  I contain it to try and not offend, like swear around those who can handle it.

I don't mean to offend.  It is a useless passtime.

I don't need to cultivate that in my language.

December 11, 2017 7:27 AM MST

In my real life most all my swearing is confined to the pols on TV and my Jim encourages me to give 'em he**. Jim doesn't swear and I sure as he** don't swear at him or family members or friends. Mostly I do it on  on the internet because I love the appearance of asterisks and because when I think of politicians they make me angry as he**! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday Sharon.
      December 11, 2017 7:47 AM MST