Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are you healthy?

Are you healthy?

this time last year I was a lot healthier than I am now. I worked out and went running everyday. I was eating a high calorie diet. I had no anxiety and a high sex drive. Now I hardly leave the house, do little exercise and I’ve lost all the muscle I had gained. My family say I look ill. How do I turn it around? I have no motivation.

Posted - December 21, 2017

Responses

• That's the B!tch of it innit?
    Fact is the doing is what makes you motivated.  The more you do, the more motivated you are to do more.  That first leap is the hardest. 
      December 21, 2017 1:47 PM MST

• Maybe I’ll make it a New Years resolution 
      December 21, 2017 1:55 PM MST

Sounds like depression.  Perhaps you need to get checked out to be sure it isn't a medical issue.
      December 21, 2017 2:09 PM MST

• The last checkup I had, I was found to be very healthy, despite the anxiety and OCD that I will always have. I hope you find motivation; I have to have something to look forward, something keeping me going, even if it's as simple as a stack of books to read or a planned visit with a friend, just as long as there's something that reminds me that life can be enjoyable.

December 21, 2017 2:43 PM MST

• Thanks. I hope I do too
      December 21, 2017 6:52 PM MST

yes, i have a really good immune system
      December 21, 2017 3:00 PM MST

• Yes, very healthy, despite the minor grievances of middle age: dentures, glasses and removal of a facial basal cell carcinoma.

Losing fitness creates feelings of depression which can spiral downwards.
    I suggest starting out with very gentle exercise, something aerobic that you really enjoy. Let it be easy. Work up to your previous fitness slowly.
    The inertia against starting is the worst part, and it really just takes will power to make that first step.
    Within three days you will start to feel better, within three weeks the body will start to enjoy and expect the new routine.
    Within six weeks you'll be thriving.

I hope you share your journey with us.

December 21, 2017 6:19 PM MST

December 21, 2017 6:49 PM MST

I know anxiety and depression can take a lot of energy out of you.  Maybe you have low level depression going on and may want to talk to a doctor.  

I do like what Hartfire offered here.  It's hard to get motivated at first, but once you start pushing yourself, it does get easier to do more.

I have been in a rut myself, but have much going on in my personal life.  I too want to get more active and feel better.
      December 21, 2017 6:27 PM MST

• I hope you manage to get out of the rut you’re stuck in too
      December 21, 2017 6:50 PM MST

It's been a process.  There has been a lot to deal with in the last few years, this year being exceptionally rough.  But I have a good support system and medication.  LOL.  

December 21, 2017 7:02 PM MST

• Not as much as I'd like to be, but I suppose I'm doing alright for 66. Ladies still flirt, so I guess I'm ok
      December 22, 2017 1:20 PM MST