Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Will guns on campus by students, make the campus safer?

Will guns on campus by students, make the campus safer?

Posted - August 1, 2016

Responses

• Bez

They will not.

August 1, 2016 4:48 PM MDT

I answered this in your other question.  I will repeat.  Young, kids, alcohol and drugs and very wound-up emotions will do way more harm than good with any weapon that kills before anyone gets a chance to change the outcome.

1.   Drunk, jealous girl or boy shoots lover flirting with another.  Probably will be the most popular.

2.  Drugs involved in mass shooting.  Sure this is going to hit the TV sets big time.  Wait and see. It already has in other states with adults.

3.  It was an ACCIDENT I swear!   I mean I am 22 or under.  How am I expected to use perfect judgment when there are mostly kids around to influence my thinking.

4. I shot him because I got scared and thought he was following me. 

5.  I tried to shoot him because he was attacking me, but he shot me and now I am crippled for life. 

DID I MENTION A LOT OF ALCOHOL AND DRUGS?

Get ready for this reality, it is just around the corner. 

Apparently we have to kill a lot more kids before we let go of OUR GUNS.  Praise the LORD. 

August 1, 2016 5:10 PM MDT

We'll see.  Banning them hasn't  done much good.

August 1, 2016 7:49 PM MDT

No. And self-defence is not a legally valid reason to own a gun here in the UK.
      August 3, 2016 9:14 AM MDT

WOW!

Glad I don't live in the UK under that kind of subjection.

August 3, 2016 9:35 AM MDT

Glad I don't live in the US and have to dodge the bullets!
      August 3, 2016 1:47 PM MDT

I have never been shot at. But then, I stay out of the ghetto hoods at 2 AM.That is where most our shootings happen here.

August 3, 2016 1:49 PM MDT

No...worse. To much partying with alcohol and drugs.

August 3, 2016 1:50 PM MDT

si...you don't wanna mess with any one packing.

August 3, 2016 2:33 PM MDT

My guess they will probably have little to no effect.

College students who weren't going to carry guns before still won't. A few who were "packing" illegally before will now do so legally, and at the margins a small number who wanted to carry firearms but were afraid of legal sanction will now bring their guns to Geography 118 or Psychology 240. A tiny percentage of students will be involved in situations where the presence of a firearm has any influence on the outcome, and the statistical analysis of those incidents will be fuzzy enough people will be able to interpret the statistics to support whatever they wish to believe.

At a symbolic level, I think allowing guns on college campuses is poor idea, but I don't think the practical impact will be much.

August 3, 2016 2:42 PM MDT