Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "There is reason to believe that 2018 will be the most consequential year in our lifetime". Agree/dis/why?

"There is reason to believe that 2018 will be the most consequential year in our lifetime". Agree/dis/why?

Posted - December 30, 2017

Responses

I personally don’t know who uttered such a vapid blanket statement, but it is reflective of blind stupidity. Self-aggrandizing propaganda, like the Book of Revelations.

I might guess at who it was, based on the general tenor of your posts, but I don’t wish to dignify it or them any further. Let’s just say it is, to me, extraordinarily unlikely. 

Fact is: Everyone’s life is different, affected by different circumstances and priorities; what is “most consequential” to some is of no importance to others. And so will it be again. 
      This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 30, 2017 11:34 AM MST
      December 30, 2017 8:13 AM MST

Whoa! I have no idea who said it but you seem to so it ticks you off bigly?  Blind stupidity is it? It's an opinion DonB to which everyone is entitled Right? I just wonder why you reacted so "Vigorously"(I am being kind here). Oh well. Different strokes. I asked. You answered. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee DB.
      December 30, 2017 9:28 AM MST

Like all my responses, it is my opinion. I have never claimed otherwise. 

Some might think such a bold statement as you quote here is witty, or even prescient, I say it’s neither because it only suits someone’s agenda. It mystifies me why anyone would lend creedence to such a broad “prognostication”. 

Particularly: Who has the wherewithal to tell ME (or anyone) which year or group of events is “most consequential” to ME (or any other person) in MY lifetime? ...and specifically when said events haven’t happened.
    Balderdash, I say. Codswallop. I challenge that person’s (or entity’s) motives. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 30, 2017 11:37 AM MST
      December 30, 2017 9:53 AM MST

Who was it who said it and why does it matter? What happens if in fact next year really is a most auspicious/important/singular year? 1968 was a singular year. Any year can be a singular auspicious critical year. We don't know in advance. We can only suppose. It is only after the fact that we can truly assess what it was and then we have the divides in views that are killing our country. SIGH. You say it is a "vapid blanket statement". How can you possibly know that in advance?It  is an opinion which may be right on the mark or way off base.Thank you for your reply.
      December 30, 2017 10:02 AM MST

We’ve both been around a long  time, seen many things, each of us have years that stand out as exceptional. These certainly differ from me to you, and from person to person. There is NOTHING special in your quote that couldn’t have been said as a prelude to ANY other year. 

For me, there is a helluva lot to live up to to equal or surpass some of the years I’ve lived. I’m a combat vet. I slept in jungles, faced live fire, seen men killed or maimed in front of my eyes. I forsee precious few contingencies that could rival that. I know I’m not alone in this view. 

What gets me smh in this instance is “in our lifetime”. This is a trivializing, presumptuous statement that lumps the priorities and concerns of every person into a single position. 
    If there is anything to learn from history, it is that this is a poor representation of the Human Condition. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 30, 2017 11:37 AM MST
      December 30, 2017 10:32 AM MST

every year is impportant in the end.....
      December 30, 2017 11:20 AM MST