Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » California legalizes marijuana for "recreational" use. Feds say it's illegal and criminal. Does States' Rights apply? What does and why?

California legalizes marijuana for "recreational" use. Feds say it's illegal and criminal. Does States' Rights apply? What does and why?

Posted - January 2, 2018

Responses

Federal still applies  Fed can come and charge everybody with a federal crime. And should. 
      January 2, 2018 10:06 AM MST

Why pass a law in a state when the feds can arrest you for complying with it? How does that make any sense at all? Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      January 3, 2018 2:11 AM MST

Because they believe the Feds will let it go and they can make some money.
      January 3, 2018 6:34 AM MST

I dunno m2c. It's such a dumbly stupid thing to do. I guess the lure of money erases brain function. SIGH. Making things legal that if you do them you can still go to jail because a higher authority says so is a gamble I surely wouldn't take. AARRGGHH! :( Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      January 3, 2018 6:47 AM MST

There is NO way this is good idea.

This will set marijuana rights back 50 years.  This stuff is very strong and there is no way joe blow should go in and buy some.

I cannot believe this is happening.  It is stupid and dangerous.  This is for people who need to use it for medical reasons because? It is a DRUG.

I don't think anyone should be smoking or eating this unless they know they can handle it.

And the State versus the Federal law?  How insane is that? 

Either something is LEGAL or it is NOT legal. What is the point of it?  You go to a better jail if you break a Federal Law?

It is not Federally legal here in Arizona but the State says it is legal.  So far no one is getting busted from regular use, but who knows how they are using this fact to only let the chosen dispensaries thrive and bust the one's that may be competition.  Meaning, if you pay the right people off, you can get rich down here and in California.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 3, 2018 2:11 AM MST
      January 2, 2018 1:34 PM MST

It is confusing as he** Sharon. Not that Jim or I would take advantage of it but it seems very stupid to me. If  someone complies with California law  he/she can still get arrested by the feds for so doing, Only in America?  I also heard something completely shocking if true. That California has a $5 BILLION blackmarket thriving business growing marijuana and produces an enormous amount of it! How does "legalizing" it affect that criminal enterprise and how can it be KNOWN and not stopped? I guess we'll see how it plays out. We are ignoring completely what doofus don is doing with regard to climate change regulation shredding. Our guv and other states' guvs are moving ahead keeping the faith while the doofus keeps breaking it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 3, 2018 2:18 AM MST
      January 3, 2018 2:16 AM MST

I dont know if The State of California have the right to change existing national laws. But I rather do not think so. Wasn't there a civil war fought over that?

If so, then California are unwise in legalizing marijuana as a test case. Marijuana is a "downer", it makes people less active, not more. If another civil war ensues California will be that much less likely to win it.

Too bad, I think the proposed law is rather a good idea. So far Zero-tolerance for drug crimes have been pretty disastrous, over-straining the capacity of courts and jails. Differentiating between different drugs would be a great improvement.

This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 3, 2018 2:18 AM MST
      January 2, 2018 4:40 PM MST

Does your country have dumbhead competing laws JakobA? It's legal in certain cities/towns/hamlets/villages but illegal in the country?  Seriously? If you follow what's OK per California law in regard to this the feds can swoop you up and charge you with breaking its law and jail you I guess. It's more than stupid dumb. Apparently California isn't the first state to do this either. What's the point? Who knows? Jim and I aren't customers for the stuff in any case but I think there are a lot of folks who are. What do they do? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 3, 2018 2:23 AM MST

Yes and no, there are sædvane (tradition) laws. That means a new law cannot suddenly criminalize some established behavior, it must be gradually introduced over several years where people just need to say "but we have always done that" to get off (with a lecture). Cant say it twice about the same offense though.

What with all its immigrants the US must have similar solutions so fx: Swedish immigrants do not get criminalized for making and eating "Gravad Laks". (you take a Salmon(Laks) and bury it in your backyard for weeks, then you dig it up and eat it.) The risk of contamination and rot is high, but it is a traditional Swedish dish that is highly valued. The FDA would never approve ;). Germans have something they call potkäse. Put cheese chunks in a jar and pour alcohol over it, then leave it for a long time. when the maggots grow large it is ready to be eaten.
    ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 4, 2018 3:53 AM MST
      January 3, 2018 2:27 PM MST

Oh geez JakobA! MAGGOTS? Oh my gosh and good golly! Do they scrape off the maggots before they eat the cheese or are the maggots consumed too? And who in the world would ever come up with such an idea as burying food in the dirt among creepy crawly critters and then at some  point digging it up and eating it? Would you eat that stuff? Have you, could you? How? Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive reply to my question. I shall try to unremember the maggots part. :)
      January 4, 2018 3:36 AM MST

California is not a test case.
    Massachusetts and Maine also have plans to allow recreational use in 2018.
    Oregon, Alaska, Nevada, Colorado, Washington (state), and Washington DC already allow recreational use of marijuana.
    Colorado lead the way, allowing it in 2012.

How about that? Washington DC, the jurisdiction that is Constitutionally overseen by Congress, allows recreational use of a federally illegal substance.

Personally, I think it's a good thing.
    I have a friend who is too poor for good health insurance, and the doctors at the clinic she goes to won't prescribe her any painkillers.  Even though she has multiple health issues that cause her a LOT of pain.  So when WA allowed recreational use, she started taking CBD (a hemp oil product) to help her pain ... and it generally works, though not always.  

January 4, 2018 2:21 PM MST

• It seems clear that Federal law in the USA trumps State laws. 
    Perhaps California will mount a court challenge. That could have some really interesting repercussions.

A recent article in the 1917 Spring edition of Cosmos (vol 76) said that science is way behind in its understanding of the active and co-active  chemicals in cannabis.
    It contains over 250 psychotropic chemicals and, so far, only two of these have been partially investigated for specific effects in only three medical conditions out of over fifty conditions known to be beneficially affected.
    The different chemicals affect different people in different ways depending on their genes, with small numbers affected adversely for some conditions.
    The huge variety of different cultivars have different strengths of specific chemicals.
    The only state in the world which has done any seriously effective research on cannabis is Israel.
    The FDA in the USA forbids most research, and actively cripples the few studies it allows.
    Despite all this, no chemical in cannabis has ever shown any signs of being as damaging as opium and its derivatives, or alcohol, or the nicotine in tobacco.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 3, 2018 8:59 AM MST
      January 2, 2018 5:58 PM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful, helpful and informative reply Hartfire. The FDA has been gutted by doofus don as has the EPA and every other protective agency. Regulations/rules/laws be dam*ed  the donjohn wants to eliminate all of them because they stand in the way of making money and that is what he is all about! The jacka**! :(  Apparently California has/had a $5 BILLION blackmarket enterprise going on vis a vis growing marijuana. So now it is no longer blackmarket in the State but still criminal according to the feds? Does your country have such idiotic competing "laws"? I bet not. I bet America is the ONLY stupid dumb country that engages in that. SIGH. Fortunately neither Jim nor I indulge but lots of people do and so what are they supposed to do? Ir's riddikilus! L(
      January 3, 2018 2:29 AM MST

Hi Rosie, it's my understanding that the feds aren't concerned with the "recreational" user, but moreso with those big grow operations that aren't licensed and permitted.  It used to be that joe blow could grow up to 30 plants, with the appropriate license. However, when growers pushed that limit and had massive grows, the feds could get involved then. I don't think the feds are going to arrest and charge someone who grows a few plants in their backyard or spare bedroom.  Plus, illegal indoor growers often get caught when their utility bill sky rockets. I heard on the news that a $14,000+ electricity bill sent up red flags and they got arrested. 
      January 2, 2018 6:33 PM MST

Hi PC! I don't know if this is true but I heard that California has a $5 billion blackmarket marijuana business and much of the pot available in the US for sale is grown here. So you decriminalize something within the state but it's still illegal if the feds catch you.  You can't have two contradictory laws governing the same thing unless your country is whacko! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday to thee m'dear! :)
      January 3, 2018 2:32 AM MST

In only a small number of states are all forms of marijuana prohibited (8 or fewer, IIRC), 8 and DC allow recreational use, 29 have comprehensive medical legalization, and 18 allow limited medical use of CBD oil. A dozen or more may consider new legalization laws this year.

The US Department of Health and Human Services owns a patent for the medical use of cannabinoids (US Patent # 6,630,507, filed 2001, approved 2003), and has, since the late '70s, mailed pre-rolled marijuana cigarettes to a small number of people under the IND program, which belies the DEA' s Schedule I designation of marijuana. The DEA has 91 foreign offices in 70 countries (yet poppy production in Afghanistan went from near zero in 2001 to all-time highs in subsequent years). Federal, state, and local governments routinely use civil asset forfeiture laws to confiscate money and property allegedly tied to drugs, often without any charges being filed...or money/assets being returned. There are also many valid industrial uses for hemp, which is a renewable resource.

But marijuana prohibition laws are not about anything beyond control and money. Cui bono? Federal control over states and foreign countries. Federal, state, and local control over people through incarceration, fines, and forfeitures. Big government, Big Pharma, Big Oil, the Prison-Industrial Complex, the MIC, and many other big corporations benefit. The feds have nothing to lose by allowing state legalizations. They can pick and choose when to allow things to slide and when to crack down. If a state doesn't toe the line on one thing, they may find the feds more actively enforcing federal drug laws in their state. What, where, and when will vary depending upon who is in the WH, the political games being played in DC, the economy, and countless other variables. Both parties play the game, and that is why, despite growing public and state support of legalization, for medical and/or recreational use, it isn't a serious federal consideration.
      January 3, 2018 10:26 AM MST

Thank you.
      January 3, 2018 2:05 PM MST

Welcome. 
      January 3, 2018 2:36 PM MST

Wow Bozette! Thank you for a very thoughtful, helpful, informative and  useful reply to my question. What does "cui bono" mean? I know "bono" means good but what is "cui"? So it is as much about facade and posturing as anything?  All show and no go? I guess as long as money is the carrot some folks will consume it in enormous quantities and turn orange to take advantage of it. Very excellent and informative reply m'dear for which I thank you. Happy Thursday to thee B! :)  Separate subject. Have you heard about the Steve Bannon book? He and Trump are now officially KAPUT. What is your opinion of what the contents might do to Trump?  :)
      January 4, 2018 3:40 AM MST

Welcome.  "Cui bono? " = "Who benefits?"

No, I hadn't heard about it.  I suppose that will depend upon what exactly it says and how much credibility people give Bannon.  
      January 4, 2018 3:50 AM MST

I'm interested in your take on it after you become familiar with it.  They were best buds and so writing such a book is really disloyal in my opinion. You can move on and leave things behind without damage or you can blow stuff up. I mean honestly I'm interested in what folks in the White House "ALLEGEDLY" said about donjohn BUT I think there should be some modicum of pride in a person that would prevent him/her from being a traitor like that. Thanks B. "Cui bono"! I like it! Gracias, merci, danke schoen, shot shunuryagalyem(Armenian)! :)
      January 4, 2018 4:03 AM MST

As many have explained, marijuana is still illegal at a federal level. However, back in 2014, the feds agreed to stay out of it in states that legalized it. Ergo, if you qualify for a medical marijuana card in Cali, you're in the clear to have MJ. But, you do not want to cross state lines with it. This is big business in states like Nebraska, where weed is illegal. They patrol the interstates like crazy, trying to catch people leaving Colorado, where weed is legal, and they concoct reasons to pull people over when they think that person has drugs. No joke- read news reports from Nebraska-all those traffic stops are for stupid stuff that can't be proven, like "following too close" or "unsafe lane change," and the officers almost always gain access to the vehicle by "smelling weed" (despite the fact that it's sealed in air-tight containers lol) or because a drug-sniffing dog "alerted" them. FYI, those are usually bogus too. Google the science behind drug-sniffing dogs when you have time. Guaranteed, you'll be ticked at how often our right to protection from unlawful search and seizure gets squashed. 

The state-to-state madness is so bad that Nebraska and Oklahoma sued Colorado for their increased patrolling needs. I read an economist editorial that broke it down and NE is actually making money because they're nailing so many people, but NE is still gunning for CO. 

As far as fed versus state goes, and the logic behind why it's still illegal, I think most people are missing the HUGE point. Yes, like Bozette said, the feds hold the patent for medical MJ. What' more lucrative for the government? Right now, medical marijuana growers where it's legal can grow at will and create new strains because the feds don't recognize medical MJ as being valid. It's a Class I substance, meaning it has no medicinal value. If/ when that changes, every single person growing could become subject to pharmaceutical guidelines. The feds could easily raise the expenses of small-time growers through licensing and testing fees so much that they squash out all mom and pop dispensaries.  You could liken it to the feds owning the right to manufacture aspirin. Will they use that power for good or evil? Your guess is as good as mine. Plus, they'd have the ability to tax it if it's for recreational use. Between pharma benefits and taxation, the gov't stands to make a heck of a lot of money. 

One of the main problems, as I see it, is that the feds have to have multiple studies that show MJ is safe and show it has medical benefits. Until recently, those studies couldn't even be legally performed. Even now, there are strict rules on testing. Over time, I think there will be a relaxation of rules, but I also think taxation and pharma will become the government's next big cash cow.
      January 4, 2018 12:12 AM MST

The 2014 decision was a budget ammendment defunding federal prosecutions.  It must be renewed with every annual budget (just extended again to 1/19/18), and it is not all-inclusive.  Even with the amendment in place, an aggressive administration/DOJ can still go after anyone not 100% compliant under state medical marijuana laws.  There is play room for a clever lawyer and all the cards have yet to be played in the courts. 

The policy the Obama administration eventually decided on was to extend the hands-off status to recreational use.  That policy is not binding on subsequent administrations.  

The feds do not own the patent on medical marijuana, they own the patent on the use of specific cannabinoids found in the plant for certain medical uses. It had one licensee the last I knew.

Medical marijuana growers cannot "grow at will"...state laws vary widely, and regulations can be quite limiting.

We currently have no national sales tax. The tax cash cow is on the state level, and one of the selling points for legalization. 
      January 4, 2018 3:09 AM MST

:):):)
      January 4, 2018 3:47 AM MST