Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The discovery of a previously unknown ancient Native American population changes our understanding of how North America settled. D'ya care?

The discovery of a previously unknown ancient Native American population changes our understanding of how North America settled. D'ya care?

An Alaskan Sunrise "girl child" died 11,500 years ago at  the age of 6 weeks. Uncovered at an archaeology dig in 2013 genetic analysis showed the baby belonged to a previously unknown group of ancient Native Americans. Do you appreciate the significance of uncovering new knowledge about our ancient past or not really since it doesn't affect you at all? Does knowledge need to be relevant to you for you to give a dam*? Because?

Posted - January 4, 2018

Responses

• I love archeological discoveries.
    11,500 years ago shows how ancient the occupation of the Americas is.
    In a way, it increases the moral claim to land rights for Indigenous peoples, for it can't be said that they were invaders who took lands belonging to others.

Among the free-to-air TV channels in Australia, SBS focuses soley on multicultural content.
    The other day they showed a two-hour documentary on the technologies of ancient North, Meso- and South American cultures.
    It was one of the most interesting I've ever watched, proving that all the peoples were far more sophisticated than whites ever imagined.
    It really proved how arrogant white culture tends to be.

Australian Aboriginal culture has been scientifically proven to date back to 40-60,000 years, the oldest continuous culture in the world.
    Unchanged variants are still living in the remote areas of North-Western Australia.
    With the recent rise in valuing their cultures, it looks as though they will now have a good chance to continue. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 5, 2018 3:13 AM MST
      January 4, 2018 10:59 PM MST

"In a way, it increases the moral claim to land rights for Indigenous peoples, for it can't be said that they were invaders who took lands belonging to others."

No.  It really doesn't.  Because the indigenous people in the Americas when Europeans landed, were late comers as well (in terms of claiming territory).  The civilizations that settled the Northern American continent had vanished, and we still don't know why.  (though IMO the best theory is that they died off from the plague, brought by earlier expeditions of Vikings) >  The nomadic tribes that were left in the majority of the Northern American continent were fighting among themselves for territory.  When the Europeans came, those tribes didn't cease their warfare and band together - they made alliances with the Europeans to destroy other tribes.  But the Europeans fought a different type of warfare that the tribes were unprepared for, so the tribes lost.
      January 4, 2018 11:12 PM MST

Me too Hartfire. I can't even begin to imagine how exciting/extraordinary it would be to discover something on a "dig" heretofore unknown! The work is tedious and requires much patience. Patience is not my long suit so it wouldn't be a good fit for me. I have a friend whose mom years ago would accompany friends on such digs through the auspices of UCLA. That was decades ago. Touching a relic from ancient times? What would that "feel" like? You'd be in today touching part of what someone touched thousands of years ago. WHOA! Thank you for your informative and thoughtful reply. I'm always watching programs about ancient times. Endlessly fascinating to me. I wonder if our times will be endlessly fascinating to future generations?
      January 5, 2018 3:18 AM MST