Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Years ago before PC ever hear someone say "I'm young, white and 21"? Was it INTENDED to be racist? Does anyone ever say it today?

Years ago before PC ever hear someone say "I'm young, white and 21"? Was it INTENDED to be racist? Does anyone ever say it today?

Posted - January 14, 2018

Responses

The expression here was "free, white, and 21".  I believe it was said realistically, rather than being a racist statement.  Observation of something does not necessarily equate to condoning it.  
      January 14, 2018 6:31 AM MST

Thanks.  I never understand it as being racist. I thought it was realistic too since those were the days when people of color sat at the back of the bus..were denied service at restaurants..had separate drinking fountains. That was also the time the superb entertainer Sammy Davis Jr. could not stay at the hotel where he was performing. I did not check that out to make sure it was true but I seem to remember reading about how absurd and insulting it was. And they accepted it. Yes those were the days that the current  occupant of the big white house seems to long for, yearn for and pray for and is trying to facilitate the return of insofar as he is able to do so. :( Thank you for your reply Bozette. Silence condones. Speaking up and condemning is what good people do. In my opinion. :)
      January 14, 2018 7:03 AM MST

Silence is often a form of condoning, and speaking against is the right thing to do, but I don't see acknowledging reality as right or wrong, in and of itself.  
      January 14, 2018 7:08 AM MST

Never heard anyone say that.
      January 14, 2018 7:17 AM MST

I do consider it as racist. 
    I heard one lady say it. And she got quiet when she thought she said it in earshot of a black coworker. If it is not racist then she should not have been worried about saying it in front of a black person. (She said "free, white, and over 21")
      January 14, 2018 7:55 AM MST

I have heard of the expression young, gifted and black.. from the song.. I would think saying one is white is just a statement of fact? Generally speaking, while we are farrrrrrrrrrrr from perfect here,  I think we are a little less racist
      January 14, 2018 3:19 PM MST