Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Pointing a finger" is NOT meant literallty. It means calling attention to something VERBALLY handfree. You do know that right?

"Pointing a finger" is NOT meant literallty. It means calling attention to something VERBALLY handfree. You do know that right?

When you "point something out" you call attention to it VERBALLY. There is no POINTING involved with a digit on a hand. NONE. Why do some people take figurative things literally? Can they not tell the difference between alluding to something by using a figurative expression? How is that possible?

Posted - January 17, 2018

Responses

it's the exact same thing whether literally or figuratively. The EXACT same thing.  
      January 17, 2018 8:49 AM MST

According to the Oxford dictionary, it is a PHRASAL VERB, and means "Direct someone's gaze or attention towards, especially by extending one's finger."

January 17, 2018 3:57 PM MST

As a child I was taught that pointing a finger was impolite. Did you hear that too from your parents? Now when you actually do  point at something like a rainbow or a flower or the sunrise or someone famous or anything/anyone else it is simply guiding not criticizing. When I or anyone criticizes a donjohn for example those who despise his being criticized incorrectly say "you are pointing a finger which means 3 are pointing at you". That's not true. That's complete bullsh** and a good example of folks using cliches that are meaningless. SIGH. There is no way out. We are in room with no doors no windows. NO EXIT.  Was it Jean Paul Sartre who wrote that pllay? At any rate we are stuck using nonsense phrses as if they are profoundly meaningful when they're not. It's like pointing out (not digitally) that the emperor is naked as a jaybird while folks who are mesmerized by him see him fully clothed in raiment befitting a king. What they see does not exist in realty. Thank you for your precise reply tom! :) I appreciate it.
      January 18, 2018 4:23 AM MST

I was told that, but I thought at the time that it was a silly rule.
      January 18, 2018 12:41 PM MST