Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Do black dogs experience prejudice?

Do black dogs experience prejudice?

It is known in shelters that black dogs are by far the least popular color and are hard to find homes for. Could racism really extend itself in a cross-species manner?

Posted - January 17, 2018

Responses

• It might. Black cats are also by far the least popular at cat shelters. Now with cats I can understand because of the absurd "black cats are bad luck" superstition, but why does it apply to dogs as well? People just have something against black animals. Ironically, black cats are my favorite type of cat and I even have a calendar on my wall with nothing but pictures of black cats. 
      January 17, 2018 9:16 AM MST

Interesting I did not know that about the shelters. Personally I think a solid black dog it beautiful.  Cats as well. We used to have a black cat named Boo.

I sell dogs statues and the most common color I sell is black followed by brown. So it does not apply to everything.  I always assumed most are trying to match the pet...maybe not. 
      January 17, 2018 9:22 AM MST

I love black Labs.
      January 17, 2018 9:30 AM MST

That is probably our most popular followed by dachshund (4 colors, black, brown,  red and black and red)
      January 17, 2018 9:35 AM MST

One of my two favorites, too.  The other is a German Shepherd.
      January 17, 2018 12:32 PM MST

I didn't know that about shelters.  My last shelter pup was the sole black in the litter.  At least half of my dogs have been black, along with several cats.  I am partial to black and tan german shepherds, and have had several dobermans and mixes of both, as well.  Most of my dogs are either from animal control or otherwise rescued, including the last four plus the two I currently have, so I cannot be too picky about breed or color.  
      January 17, 2018 12:48 PM MST

Part of the problem at shelters is that darker colored animals can be harder to spot in the cages.  Yes, there's the idiotic belief in black cats & bad luck.  Which isn't true in other parts of the world, like Japan.

We have 17 cats, and 7 of them are black.  15 of the 17 came from the streets, including 3 generations of the same family.  The daughter has been with us since she was about 8 weeks old and is VERY affectionate.  Her brother will take a petting, but that's it.  Their mom was on the street her whole life & has settled in very well, and HER mom is a work in progress.
      February 13, 2018 9:21 PM MST