Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you know about the medicine Abilify, and if so, did you ever try to come off it cold turkey?

Do you know about the medicine Abilify, and if so, did you ever try to come off it cold turkey?

Posted - January 19, 2018

Responses

I'm not familiar with it.
    ~
      January 19, 2018 6:33 AM MST

yes i know about abilify.... its what they gave me before changing it . 
      January 19, 2018 10:44 AM MST

I am familiar with it because of a family member.  This drug, and its brothers and sisters, have horrible possible permanent side effects (from Tourette's to Diabetes) making its use very questionable in my mind.  

No, you shouldn't come off of it cold turkey.  Have a doctor advise and monitor.  
      January 19, 2018 8:18 PM MST

I had a mental breakdown five years ago after my grandmother died and left me a trust to handle all by myself. My brain overloaded and I had a psychotic episode. They put me on abilify, but my doctor says I should have stopped taking it four years ago. Im tapering off it with help from my doctor (not the one who prescribed it) very slowly. The whole process should take at least six months, but its worth getting life back in my head. Its a great drug to use temporarily,  to bring you out of a breakdown, but should be stopped as soon as possible after its been resolved. Wish me luck, luck, luck, luck. (echo in my head ad-nauseam)  LOL :D
      January 19, 2018 9:31 PM MST

They put you on that for one psychotic episode? Having one episode is not a guarantee of another. Thank God if you haven't presented with some of the horrible possible side effects. 

I disagree that it's a great temporary drug but I'm not a doctor.  I've seen what it did to some inpatient patients. Quickly.  And  permanently.  Scary jar full of chemicals. 

This is just my opinion about antipsychotics in general, particularly the newer drugs from the last 12-20 years. 

I'm so glad you want to, and can, leave it in your past.  Be well. 

Also, I'll mention this.  Not all of the medical/mental health fields agree about the use of these drugs.  They don't all agree that psychosis should be stomped and killed never to be seen or heard from again.  Some think psychosis is an ultimate defense mechanism which can be entered and exited several times during a lifetime....No treatment required with understanding.  I read a wonderful book by Dr. Paris Williams entitled Rethinking Madness....around 2012  I have recommended it to quite a few people and always get thank yous and hugs later.  Think about it......it may help you understand what happened to you.....and that it may happen again.  Take good good care of yourself, CP.  I was going to give you the Amazon link but while I was reading...I got hooked for a little while....I found that Dr. Williams now has this book free, instead of $25.00 to Amazon, on his website as a PDF download.  This book has had a big impact on how many people think about schizophrenia.
    Dr. Williams speaks as if he has lived it, because he has.
    https://www.rethinkingmadness.com/

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 20, 2018 9:08 PM MST
      January 20, 2018 8:08 PM MST

Ive been off it now for over a month. Next week Ill taper down to a lower dose, until I taper off it completely. I think its a crime what they are doing to the american public. Its literally a pharmaceutical lobotomy. Im glad I got out of this madness before I had any bad effects from it. 
      January 20, 2018 8:49 PM MST

You responded while I adding to my comment above.  I hope you'll read the whole of it.
      January 20, 2018 9:11 PM MST

I did and i agree and will look at the book. I love yo carbonproduct. ;))
      January 20, 2018 11:04 PM MST