Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » I recently ran a half marathon that attracted more than 5,000 participants. Have you ever been part of the organizing committee for a public

I recently ran a half marathon that attracted more than 5,000 participants. Have you ever been part of the organizing committee for a public

event hosting 1,000 people or more? ~

Posted - January 19, 2018

Responses

I guess... I organized a community garage sale for a school once, if that counts. 
      January 19, 2018 1:25 PM MST

How many people?

~
      January 19, 2018 10:31 PM MST

Oh my. I have no idea. It was utter chaos. lol  

This was a fluke thing I was totally unprepared for. I sent my oldest son to a charter school for a couple of years. They did a lot of things really well, but they didn't have a library. I volunteered to set up the library, but there was no funding for books, supplies, or anything related to it. So, I got the idea to host a "garage sale." I asked parents to donate pretty much anything. Any books they donated would go into the library and any household goods would be put up for sale. So, I think in all, I probably had a few hundred families donate things. I didn't get any volunteers to help with any of the prep. The parents I asked were "too busy" to help, but two moms agreed to help on the day of the sale, and they showed up after I set everything up alone. As far as customers go, we probably had 1,500-2,000 people actually buy things. It was so crazy I went through the crowd, grabbing parents I knew and teachers and assigning them jobs, whether they wanted them or not. 

The library turned out pretty epic though. I was super proud of that. Between that and donations from local book stores, the school got an instant library with over 1,000 titles. The kids and teachers loved it. 
      January 19, 2018 10:56 PM MST

Great job!

January 19, 2018 11:01 PM MST