Active Now

DannyPetti
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Finance » If and when you give money to a person who's begging on the street, does it matter to you how the money is spent?

If and when you give money to a person who's begging on the street, does it matter to you how the money is spent?

Companion question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/48888/if-you-donate-money-to-a-charity-organization-does-it-matter-to/view/post_id/428263
~

Posted - January 19, 2018

Responses

I would prefer it be spent on food or housing. 
      January 19, 2018 10:13 AM MST

Whenever I give something to anyone, no matter what it is or who gets it, my giving never comes with conditions.
      January 19, 2018 11:06 AM MST

No I think it is their right to do what they want with it.  If you question that why give at all?   
      January 19, 2018 11:09 AM MST

Nope. 
      January 19, 2018 11:19 AM MST

Yes and no. For example, I was at a gas station a couple of months ago and a guy said he was stranded and out of gas. He asked for a few bucks to help him get to his destination. I don't remember if I didn't trust him or just didn't have cash, so I volunteered to use my debit card at the pump for him. Oddly enough, he agreed. The catch, his tank was already full- all the way full. When the pump did its auto shut-off, the guy said his gas indicator must be broken. Nice try, bub. Not buying it. I dislike liars. No idea what he wanted the money for, but it wasn't gas, and yes, I was miffed. I didn't say anything- just went on my way.

A lot of the time, when I question genuine need, I'll volunteer to go get whatever the person says they want. If it's clear the person has nothing, then I hand them cash and think nothing of how they'll spend it. 
      January 19, 2018 1:22 PM MST

About ten or twelve years ago, I had a similar experience.  It was at night at a gas station, a woman approached me and said she was from out town, was a dentist (or worked for a dentist, I can't remember), and she even gave me a business card so I'd know it was true.  The card showed some dentist's office in a town about 200 miles away.  Her problem was that her credit card had been declined, so she needed just a few dollars to put gas in her tank.  After all these years, I can't remember whether or not I gave her anything, but the next morning I called the number on the business card, it had been disconnected.  I figured it was all part of a scam.

~
      January 19, 2018 9:56 PM MST

I completely stopped doing that when the same guy approached me twice in one day claiming the needed funds were for different emergencies.  I told him to back up, turn around, and start walking.
      January 19, 2018 7:50 PM MST

I don't give money to people on the street.  I will buy someone a meal if they say they're hungry. 
      January 19, 2018 10:26 PM MST

• its illegal in my state to give money to panhandlers
      January 19, 2018 10:31 PM MST

I give them gift certificates for fast food.
      January 20, 2018 7:21 PM MST