Discussion » Questions » Communication » Today's dilemma: do you stay true to yourself being part of an opinion site?!

Today's dilemma: do you stay true to yourself being part of an opinion site?!

Disclaimer: this question isn't about PC, politics, racism, religions, sexual orientations etc. It's a question about interhuman relations and the ethical dilemmas that might be experienced.

Will you compromise with your own ethical principles in order to meet/please the expectations of others?!

Will you stay true to who you are, even if it means you're left on your own, and risk being excluded from social circles?! 

What are your thoughts and perspectivation that you try to live by, and how do you implement them for yourself to your online behavior, being part of an opinion site?!

Posted - August 4, 2016

Responses

Unfortunately, this is one of my biggest deficits.  I tend to over-answer (the hell out of) a question. Sorry.

But hey, at least what I said was relevant. :-)

August 4, 2016 2:50 AM MDT

No need to be sorry. I hope you didn't take my reply as a complaint. I did make the disclaimer to avoid turning it into a battle about these kind of beliefs but have them on a more principle level where integrity might be part of the dilemma. It's not the same as we cannot feel or face some of the same when discussing politics, religions and so on, and it not being relevant for us as persons. :-)

August 4, 2016 2:59 AM MDT

No problem. We're good. :-)

As regards that latter point, I think people prolly feel freer to be true to themselves online than off precisely because, IRL, we would be facing those with whom we disagree--often vehemently.  Obviously, I'd be far more reticent to say what I just said about (ahem..."ideological differences") to an actual person who subscribed to those ideologies. Out of respect for them and, in one particular case, in the interest of staying alive. :-D 

August 4, 2016 3:05 AM MDT

My yes means yes and my no means no. If there isn't a chance of changing one single thing I really don't want to waste my time talking about it.  I don't have a need to share my opinions with anyone, as I am confident in what i believe.  

August 4, 2016 3:06 AM MDT

To some degree yes, although depending on how much they respect not putting their "ideas" on me.. In that case I'd tell them my point of view in an as respectful manner as possible. It does go both ways which some of the more disrespectful members of our society seems not realising. Well, there you go... We discussed politics and the other stuff anyway. Lol.

August 4, 2016 3:09 AM MDT

Thanks you for giving me the opportunity today to make a personal statement that 'updates' who I am...very helpful

I shall stay true to who I am even if it means I'm left on my own and am excluded from so many social circles (that go round and round head chasing tail)

As long as it is in harmony with truth, love from the standpoint of our creator God, when I know that standing for what is right may mean going against the populace. I hereby take responsibility to ensure each decision made even in the most overwhelming of circumstances (Jihadi attack) I remain true to my God and in harmony with her laws (kill no human being) meaning death is nothing but a movement closer to God anyway and I'd rather go there without harming another human being EVEN if they kill me...is there anyone out there who agrees with me though?

August 4, 2016 3:14 AM MDT

LOL!

When you think about it, it's kinda hard not to.  Sometimes principles and politics do intersect--surprisingly.

August 4, 2016 3:21 AM MDT

August 4, 2016 3:21 AM MDT

In my way of being part of this opinion site is another aspect than just the exchange of ideas, but you're right a lot won't change one single thing. The other aspect will be relations built with other members. They become a sort of social circle. I have noticed, not only recently how different we interact and what to be expected from each other. When I was at EP there was a reason why my circle never exceeded ten. Those inside the circle were close, and even then some would not stay true to what they claimed about themselves and their integrity. You could say it is a question about not being confident in what they believe in. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :-)

August 4, 2016 3:29 AM MDT

Small corrections as seen from my standpoint. It will be your God as I don't have one, and others again might believe in other Gods. We all should be taking responsibilty for ourselves and our actions. Why making the overwhelming circumstances to only cove Jihadi attacks? Will they be the ONLY overwhelming circumstances you will be facing in life?

Like said in my disclaimer this ISN'T about politics or religion but more soever about interpersonal relations. You try to make your way around it but... Anyway, you will know best yourself what you were up to. Have a lovely day.

August 4, 2016 3:38 AM MDT

They do, but it is in fact easier to avoid than you might suspect. It's all about perspectives on a subject like this one.

August 4, 2016 3:42 AM MDT

I personally believe in being myself. Further, when we call it an opinion site, it is understood that we are expected to share our opinions here, then what is problem in being our selves. When we expect someone to hear us, we are also expected to listen to them..

August 4, 2016 11:04 AM MDT

Yes.

August 4, 2016 11:09 AM MDT

• I do.  Life is so much easier and pleasant if you're your authentic self no matter where you go.

August 4, 2016 11:29 AM MDT

Thank you.
      August 4, 2016 2:37 PM MDT

Expectations can come in a lot of shades, as how we meet them. Yes I agree, it should be enough being oneself.
      August 4, 2016 2:39 PM MDT

Isn't it? It might not always be appreciated though.
      August 4, 2016 2:40 PM MDT

Thank you.
      August 4, 2016 2:40 PM MDT

I don't compromise my principles to meet the expectations of others in real life, much less online. lol I will stay true to myself, though I should probably point out that I kinda like to grow as a person, rather than remaining in the same rigid mindset forever. That means when the facts or elements of a thing change, my perception of that thing will also change. Some believe this to be selling out or compromising principles, I call it: learning and I don't really consider it if a character defect. That make sense?

August 4, 2016 2:44 PM MDT

• As long as we appreciate our lives ..that's the main thing.  

August 4, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

It is, however we will one way or another also have our life influenced by others.
      August 4, 2016 2:55 PM MDT

Makes sense. To me it's what I call being open minded. :-)
      August 4, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

I try to be.

August 4, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

Good. I hope you succeed for the larger part.
      August 4, 2016 3:00 PM MDT

Well, I've also been accused of being narrow minded when my mind is made up. lol So there is that :)

August 4, 2016 3:17 PM MDT