Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » do you avoid answering the phone under any circumstances because the unknown causes you crippling anxiety

do you avoid answering the phone under any circumstances because the unknown causes you crippling anxiety

i Say leave a voice mail but don’t check those either 

Posted - February 8, 2018

Responses

No I don't have the feeling everyone is out to get me and calling to let me know.  I do have anxiety about things that have happened to me recently that are making my life a little rocky.
    I avoid answering the phone because sometimes I would like to be left alone.  Other times I wish desperately it would ring.  People who know you aren't out to get you.  I like the fact I can see who is calling an make the decision then.
    That could work against me though because maybe I just won the lottery and didn't answer because I didn't answer.  
    See, these are the things that cause me anxiety.  I would just answer it and see what they would like to ask or say. :) 
      February 8, 2018 8:53 AM MST

no, I answer it, even if I am sure it is some salesperson on the prowl. Then I listen, and when he he/she has said enough to analyze the spiel, which I them proceed to tell him/her the flaws in it.

The Win is when he/she hangs up

February 8, 2018 9:05 AM MST

No. I don't suffer from anxiety and I have no reason not to answer my phone.
      February 8, 2018 9:07 AM MST

Good Morning :)  Happy! Happy!  Without a doubt, I believe you!!!  Big smiles!!  You are one of the strongest, yet gentle, people I know.. over the internet but truly believe you are this way in real life too.  I admire that about you. :) :)
      February 8, 2018 9:11 AM MST

Good morning.  Thank you!  You are too kind. :)
      February 8, 2018 9:17 AM MST

Years ago the phone would ring and wake up my baby and it would be some telemarketer so I turned off the ringer and got an answering machine and turned that down too so my baby could sleep. Then I got a cell phone and disconnected the landline.
    Now I only text and only people that are close have the number except for my child's school.
    I never answer my phone unless it's the school and I have my phone off a lot so I just check the voicemail.
    No more telemarketers or anxiety this way.
      February 8, 2018 9:26 AM MST

No but because at home 98% of the calls we now receive on our land line are sales calls or requests for financial aid.  Our friends  email us or just come over or contact my husband on his cell. 
      February 8, 2018 9:30 AM MST

No, I just don't talk to people I don't know.
      February 8, 2018 9:52 AM MST

I never answer unless I know who is calling.  I often don't even look at it when it rings; if I'm busy the phone will wait.
      February 8, 2018 10:21 AM MST

Caller ID. If I don't know who's calling, I don't answer, they can leave a voicemail. I, too, have crippling anxiety. I know what that's like. 
      February 8, 2018 1:30 PM MST

sometimes
      February 9, 2018 4:42 PM MST