Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Can mental illness be CURED? Have any of you suffered from mental illness at one time but are fine now? At the time did you KNOW you were ill? How?

Can mental illness be CURED? Have any of you suffered from mental illness at one time but are fine now? At the time did you KNOW you were ill? How?

Posted - August 4, 2016

Responses

• ‘There is something wrong with you’

That’s what the doctor said

When I told him of the voices

Which exist inside my head

How they make me want to howl

As the full moon starts to rise

How they whisper many secrets

And they don’t tell any lies

The doctor said I needed help

And told me his solution

Which meant I would be taken

To a mental institution

Where the nurses are all pretty

And they all have big blue eyes

But the voices said ‘Don’t listen

It is just a pack of lies’

So I replied ‘No thank you doc’

But he said I had no choice

I was getting very angry

With his patronising voice

Then my vision turned to red

As he scribbled out a note

And the doctor was soon screaming

With my hands around his throat

Now I’m locked in an asylum

I’ve been certified insane

And I’m howling at the moon

Through the tiny window pane

And there are no pretty nurses

And they don't have big blue eyes

Just like the voices told me

And the voices don’t tell lies

August 4, 2016 7:48 AM MDT

August 4, 2016 7:57 AM MDT

Some can be completely cured, but more often they can be controlled, to varying degrees of success. 

Of course, if the sufferer doesn't accept their disorder and seek treatment, there is no chance of being cured, and little chance of improvement. Personality disorders are especially difficult to treat. (I thought I'd add this, in case this question is referring to a certain orange demon who is running for public office in the US). ; )

I'm not sure about "fine"... that sounds very similar to "normal", and I don't really believe there is such a thing. I was quite unwell, and I'm sure that my mental well-being is now above average, if that answers your question. I definitely knew that I wasn't well, when I wasn't. How? The condition(s) that I suffered from didn't cause severe delusions, I guess! : )

Hope you're having a great day! 

August 4, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

•   August 4, 2016 8:57 AM MDT

1.  Yes, some can be restored to sanity.

2.  Have I suffered?  I am alcoholic.   That is in control now, but for a good part of my 20's, I believe I acted mentally ill many times with the choices I made to pick up a drink and mess up my day or week or month.   So, yes, that is NUTS. 

3.  Am I fine now?  For the most part.   I made sure I was able to never drink again by doing what was necessary to stop the addiction and keep it in tow.

4.  Did I know I was nuts?  Not at first.  When I realized it, it had already gotten a foothold that took many years of therapy and work to restore me.

Its funny how most people don't classify that as mentally ill.  IT IS.  You have to think about how much it would take for you to get up in the morning and have a glass of vodka or a beer instead of a bowl of cereal to realize HOW insane and out of control a person is when they make choices like that. 

August 4, 2016 9:14 AM MDT

I don't think can be cured as such but it can deffinatly be managed and controled with the right meds
      August 4, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

I believe mental illness is genetic and therefore cannot be cured. It can be treated. I have personal knowledge as I am bi-polar.

August 4, 2016 9:41 AM MDT

Hello Rose:

The wealthy are NEVER mentally ill..  They're eccentric.

excon

August 4, 2016 9:46 AM MDT

True mental illness cannot be cured. It can be managed with medicine. Things like bi-polar, schizophrenia, are caused by a chemical imbalance. I don't believe it can be cured. Many times if they go off the meds they end up in the hospital until they get the medicine back in their system.
    Other things that people consider mental illness are curable with therapy and some med.
    Others things are not mental illness.
      August 4, 2016 10:47 AM MDT

It can be treated..There's no cure for pain, only treatment. 

August 4, 2016 10:49 AM MDT

Or, as in the case of a certain orange-maned millionaire, they are "not politically correct"....;-D...

August 4, 2016 11:14 AM MDT

Even setting aside the tricky question of what defines a mental illness to further discussion, what we conventionally call mental illness comes in a wide variety of causes and symptoms, just like with physical illnesses.

For example, a cut on one's skin might be so minor it simply heals on its own, and there is no long-term evidence the cut ever happened. But if the cut is severe enough, it might require stitches to close, and there may be long-term scarring. In that sense, the wound never actually heals 100%. Or consider the common cold, which is caused by rhinoviruses we have in our bodies all the time. On occasion, a mutant strain manages to overwhelm our immune system for a time, causing us physical symptoms until it's brought back into check. Also consider a disease like diabetes (particularly Type 1), where the symptoms and potential damage of the condition can be managed, but there is no ultimate cure.

Mental illness is similar. People who have depressive episodes because of a major life trauma (e.g. divorce, death of a loved one, etc.) typically get better on their own, or with the help of a "Band Aid" like excessive alcohol consumption. On the other hand, some people have depressive episodes which do not self-correct, and those people need more "stitching" to bring their emotional balance back to a point where they are functional. For others, there are genetic or experiential factors which make their mental health symptoms a permanent part of their life, and they need constant treatment to keep the condition under control.

August 4, 2016 11:32 AM MDT

Yes, I have seen many cured. I believe it can be cured by prayer, eating healthy (a balanced diet, complete amino acids and nuts), exercise daily, low stress, meditation and relaxation, support group, therapy, and trusting in God. Don't let any doctor say it can't be cured. SSRI meds are good for depression and anxiety but exercise daily has been proven just as good, Mood stabilizers for bi-polar is often recommended, and Ritalin for those with ADHD can be effective short term. Be careful to avoid narcotic, opioids, and pain killers (they halt the cure significantly)

Finland did a study with 2 groups with severe mental illness (schitsophrenia, and bipolar) 90% of those taking NO meds and exercised and had lots of support and no stress were working and back to normal after a few years. Those on meds for schitsophrenia or other meds only  19 % were cured and working after a few years.

There are some University studies that SSRI can heal the brain, however for those who take it early, and who have severe depression or anxiety. And if they don't take the SSRI and they don't feel better after awhile there could be permanent brain changes. It is important to aggressively cure the depression with therapy, exercise, and a good healthy diet, (And I think prayer helps too)

August 4, 2016 11:44 AM MDT

According to a finnish long range study it can be cured with no meds. I see many clients cured.

Yes mental illness can be cured., I have seen many cured. I believe it can be cured by prayer, eating healthy (a balanced diet, complete amino acids and nuts), exercise daily, low stress, meditation and relaxation, support group, therapy, and trusting in God. Don't let any doctor say it can't be cured. SSRI meds are good for depression and anxiety but exercise daily has been proven just as good, Mood stabilizers for bi-polar is often recommended, and Ritalin for those with ADHD can be effective short term. Be careful to avoid narcotic, opioids, and pain killers (they halt the cure significantly)

Finland did a study with 2 groups with severe mental illness (schitsophrenia, and bipolar) 90% of those taking NO meds and exercised and had lots of support and no stress were working and back to normal after a few years. Those on meds for schitsophrenia or other meds only  19 % were cured and working after a few years.

There are some University studies that SSRI can heal the brain, however for those who take it early, and who have severe depression or anxiety. And if they don't take the SSRI and they don't feel better after awhile there could be permanent brain changes. It is important to aggressively cure the depression with therapy, exercise, and a good healthy diet, (And I think prayer helps too)

August 4, 2016 11:48 AM MDT

Mahalo for your reply OS.

August 4, 2016 12:41 PM MDT

This is an awesomely thoughtful and very helpful reply Carazaa for which I thank you a lot. Happy Thursday m'dear! :)

August 4, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

Thank you for your helpful reply m2c! :)

August 4, 2016 12:44 PM MDT

So they  can be "managed" if not cured then? Thank you for your reply thepie and Happy Thursday!  :)

August 4, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

True. Funny how that works ain't it excon? Thank you for your reply!  :)

August 4, 2016 12:46 PM MDT

That too. OS. Weird ain't it? Mahalo for your reply!  :)

August 4, 2016 12:47 PM MDT

This is very unsettling. It reminds me of a movie that is very old (so am I) called The Snake Pit starring Olivia De Haviland probably made long before you were born. Thank you for your reply SN. What is the source please and thank you!

August 4, 2016 12:51 PM MDT

One way to knowing is by asking too many stupid questions on answer mug. get it ?

August 4, 2016 1:42 PM MDT

Do you mean mental illness as the old Soviet Union defined it? Anyone that disagreed with the wisdom of the "government" HAD to be mentally ill.  (Similar to the assessment and treatment model used by The Third Reich.) They were sent to "special" mental health centers called gulags that were located in the beautiful wilderness called eastern Siberia where they received the best of treatment. Even with all that cool, fresh air that rehabilitation process was apparently often slow; it took years and years of treatment. Sadly, many of those "mentally ill" never recovered.

Is THAT the kind of mental illness of which you speak, people that might disagree with your point-of-view?

August 4, 2016 1:55 PM MDT

August 4, 2016 9:50 PM MDT