Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » History » Millennial: "Dad, what does the word 'newspaper' mean, and did they ever really exist, or were they just make-believe like Santa Claus?" ~

Millennial: "Dad, what does the word 'newspaper' mean, and did they ever really exist, or were they just make-believe like Santa Claus?" ~

Posted - February 17, 2018

Responses

• "You can add telephone book and encyclopedia to that list."
      February 17, 2018 10:34 PM MST

Your mom and I knew that one day you'd ask that question.   And we're just glad you came to us about it and not your friends on Facebook.  You see, my son, when I was your age, there were 2 kinds of news - TV news (film ant 11) and written news.  You know,like those things in your grandmother's basement that she calls "books" (strange woman).  Anyhow, back then they called wrien news"newspapers", and you could either pick them up each day at the grocery store or you could subscribe to them (no password needed) and they'd throw one in your yard (or on the rose bushes, or the roof, or in the gutter, or....) each day.  In them was news and thousands of ads (and no ad blocker).  Then you could sit at the breakfast table,drink your cup of coffee and read news that happened 2 days ago - just as if it had just happened yesterday.  And they had to cut down 1,000 trees just to print 1 days newspaper (more on Sunday).  However, the best part of the newspaper were the comics ... they were like memes, only not in color (except on Sundays).
      February 17, 2018 10:49 PM MST

• Hmmmm.....Google it son/daughter. Google it.
      February 18, 2018 12:33 AM MST

Dear Millennial Child,

It's like this Harry Potter gif, only with less movement. 

February 18, 2018 2:41 AM MST