Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Do you follow the Olympics? Are you proudly nationalistic when it comes to the athletes who participate representing your country? Or is it just another sports event and nothing more? Ho Hum? Why?

Do you follow the Olympics? Are you proudly nationalistic when it comes to the athletes who participate representing your country? Or is it just another sports event and nothing more? Ho Hum? Why?

Posted - August 5, 2016

Responses

I don't watch but I definitely want the USA to win.
      August 5, 2016 6:06 AM MDT

I just want to see my former student win the gold in the high jump. He already has a silver.

August 5, 2016 6:44 AM MDT

I enjoy watching and feel proud when the U.S.A.wins

August 5, 2016 7:45 AM MDT

Me too m2c! Thank you for your reply.

August 5, 2016 12:02 PM MDT

WHOA! You KNOW an Olympic athlete? Geez Ele what is his name please and thank you! That is impressive as he**!  We wanna root for him. Thank you for your reply m'dear!  :) I have NEVER known an Olympic athelete who won a medal! That is too awesome!

August 5, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

I watch the Olympics and root for people from my country.

August 5, 2016 1:18 PM MDT

I still root somewhat for USA athletes, but it's not the same as back during the Cold War when the Evil Commies sent their "professional" athletes (essentially subsidized by various nation-states) while US and other teams were "amateurs." It was never as cut-and-dried as generally portrayed, but it made for a good overarching narrative.

Nowadays, nearly everyone in all but the really obscure sports is a professional paid by someone somewhere. Often, the athletes spend years away from their "home" country between Olympic Games. For example, many NBA players will be representing countries such as Spain, Argentina, France, and Puerto Rico, even though they live most of lives within the United States.

I don't begrude athletes the right to make a living wherever they can find opportunity, but it does detract from the nationalistic character of the Olympic Games.

August 5, 2016 1:33 PM MDT

Erik Kynard...honors Physics student.

August 5, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

Thanks for his name  Ele. I just wrote it down and I'll be watching for him. I'm guessing US coverage will focus on US athletes. Happy Saturday! :)

August 6, 2016 5:54 AM MDT

That's good. I'm sure all the athletes from every country hope their citizens watch them. I mean the athletes are competing as representatives of their countries. Thank you for your reply OmyTVC and Happy Saturday to thee! :)

August 6, 2016 5:55 AM MDT

Mahalo for your thoughtful reply OS and Happy Saturday. There is nothing more emotional for me as an observer than to see Americans up on that stand with Olympic medals around their necks signifying excellence as our flag is raised and our national anthem is played. I always tear up. How can you not? I don't know about the being paid for it part or the commercial part or the professional part. My favorite sport is gymnastics and maybe they are less apt to be professionals and paid for showing up. I just focus when I watch them and fingers crossed they come through beautifully without a hitch or a glitch or getting hurt and then we watch and wait for scores. I think being an Olympics Medal winner is the most thrilling medal/trophy you can possibly win for sports since you are representing your entire country in competition with the entire world. :)        

August 6, 2016 6:03 AM MDT

• I used to follow it closely and as a matter of fact, took enormous pride in the efforts of our athletes. It's become too political and commercial over the years, yet that doesn't diminish the extraordinary work that it takes to compete on the world stage.

August 6, 2016 6:11 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply PP and Happy Saturday to thee! :)

August 6, 2016 8:12 AM MDT