Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does anyone here use a CPAP machine for Apnea?!

Does anyone here use a CPAP machine for Apnea?!

I just got one...

I HATE IT!

Posted - August 5, 2016

Responses

Aww, that sucks. Never had to use one, but I have dealt with a nebulizer and I wasn't fond of it either.

August 5, 2016 1:25 PM MDT

ROFL!   Uh, no, but this visualization is priceless!

Anyway, I have a few friends who are using them, and my dad (who only had one lung) was on one for a couple of years before he died but, although I suspect I have mild apnea, I correct mine with lifestyle changes.  I'd never be able to sleep with a hose protruding from my face.  Not without pharmacological assistance, anyway.

...But yeah, there's no middle-of-the-road position on CPAP.  If you're on one, you either swear by it or want to beat the ass of the twisted bastard who invented it.

August 5, 2016 1:42 PM MDT

• ha, ha! that pictuuuurre, ohmygosh...

i don't know if i have sleep apnea, because i've never been tested for it. i imagine it would take some getting used to, though. i'm sure within no time you won't be able to fall asleep without it. i'm sorry you have to go through this adjustment. change is hard... especially when it has to do with our face/head. hopefully, you'll be getting some quality sleep now, though. it could have benefits you never... dreamed of. (i'm so punny...)

August 5, 2016 2:14 PM MDT

No, I've been with men who have had to wear them- boyfriends and my ex husband. They all hated them at first but got used to them in a period of a couple of weeks. Once they adapted, the quality of sleep was so much better and they felt so much better that they loved the machines, but getting used to it is a challenge. 

There are a ton of different setups... different straps and nosepieces. If you really don't adapt, do some online shopping and see if you can find something that bothers you less. You'll always have the tube that tries to attack you as you sleep, but you get used to moving in a way that doesn't get you all tangled up. It's just like if you sleep in a different place. If you move from a bed to a couch, you remember that you're on the sofa while you sleep and you don't roll as much. Over time, you become accustomed to the arrangements and get used to the CPAP.

August 5, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

• That is EXCTLY how I feel. LOL

August 5, 2016 4:25 PM MDT

• Hah! That's exactly how I feel with that thing on. 

I'm getting less sleep with this. I'm trying to adjust to it.  

August 5, 2016 4:29 PM MDT

• Thanks for the awesome insight.  

I've been told by others aI'll get accustome. I'm still waiting. :)

They gave me a full face mask.  It's not all that uncomfortable, actually.

The hose from hell! Hahahaha! I had that thing wrapped around my neck like an anaconda at one point

August 5, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

• i know you'll give it your best. i'm hoping adjustment is achieved sooner than later. hang in there!

sweet dreams, Sweetie. :)

August 5, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

August 5, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

LOL, love the visual :-)
      August 5, 2016 10:22 PM MDT

• I'm not even 100 yet! lol

August 6, 2016 2:24 AM MDT

• I try to keep things interesting  :)

August 6, 2016 2:25 AM MDT

No.. but I do know they are very unpleasant for people at first.. but when they get used to it they feel much better and more alert the next day.

I saw you're using a full mask.. you may prefer just a nasal mask if that is suitable for you.

The closest for myself is nebulisers which I have been doing 3 times daily for a few months now..due to my asthma worsening due to pollen.

August 6, 2016 2:43 AM MDT

• Aww...sorry about the asthma...

I sleep with my mouth open...My doc said that a nasal mask would not be effective. 

August 6, 2016 3:35 AM MDT

Yikes! No!
      August 6, 2016 3:53 AM MDT

Thank you. :)

That's a shame.. I really hope you get used to it soon and feel much better for doing so.. even though they are horrible.

The main reason they are horrible is because the mask is tight and because the machine forces oxygen into the lungs.. so for people who need higher amounts of oxygen this is generally worse to tolerate and therefore takes longer to get used to. However.. I'm sure you will get there and feel a lot better for it.

Good luck :)

August 6, 2016 3:59 AM MDT

IKR? If face-munchers come before 100, do you really want to live to be 100?

I mean, come on, nobody wants to be like Darth, err Dick Cheney. Personally think General Grievous is the more appropriate comparison. lol

August 7, 2016 7:53 AM MDT