Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What are your favorite James Cagney films?

What are your favorite James Cagney films?

Cagney. Looks like there is no more movies category.

Posted - June 26, 2016

Responses

Oh I really like White Heat

June 26, 2016 5:39 PM MDT

• Is it Yankee doodle dandy? ... the musical where he tap dances down the stairs of the white house at the end?

June 26, 2016 6:30 PM MDT

The only one I've ever seen is Yankee Doodle Dandy
      June 26, 2016 7:13 PM MDT

yes.
      June 26, 2016 7:20 PM MDT

Try Yankee Doodle Dandy, Angels With Dirty Faces and The Strawberry Blonde. If you wish to see a great gangster film try Bogart and Robinson in Key Largo.
      June 26, 2016 7:22 PM MDT

Try Angels With Dirty Faces and The Strawberry Blonde.
      June 26, 2016 7:22 PM MDT

Oh Key Largo is a good one. I am a huge Bogart fan. I don't remember watching The Strawberry Blonde but I have seen the others. I grew watching classic movies like this with my mama. I would rather watch those than the movies that are out today.

June 26, 2016 7:29 PM MDT

Try Bogart in The Desperate Hours, his best movie IMHO. Try Angels with Dirty Faces, Cagney and Bogart. Other good Bogart's are The Caine Mutiny, Treasure Of Sierra Madre. A pattern forming here, Bogart is at his best playing a crazie lol :).

Strawberry Blonde is Cagney, not Bogart. But it does show a softer Jimmy, it does have Olivia DeHavilland who btw will be 100 in July, she lives in France, go figure. I seen over 4000 films from the 30s40s50s, I could recommend hundreds on any actor or actress.
      June 26, 2016 7:34 PM MDT

Lol, I should have worded that better I knew it wasn't a Bogart movie. Oh those are all good movies. Yes I agree he does an amazing job playing a crazie, lol :)

Oh my a 100, wow I didn't realize that. Another personal favorite is Jimmy Stewart. I could watch his movies all day long as well as Doris Day. I need to take next weekend & have a classic movie marathon.

June 26, 2016 7:56 PM MDT

I bet you seen James Stewart in Harvey, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and It's A Wonderful Life? Please see Stewart in The Mortal Storm, Rope and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance if you haven't. Want to see Stew in a really cute film with Hedy Lamarr, try Come Live With Me. Btw, Miss Lamarr had a hand in creating the cell phone. :)

Doris Day had a great film with Cagney called Love Me Or Leave Me. She is in her 90s. Any Doris Day film with Jack Carson is pretty cool.

Also if you are a John Garfield fan, try Pride Of The Marines, a great film which might make you cry ....
      June 26, 2016 8:02 PM MDT

Oh It's A Wonderful Life & Harvey are two of my favorites. I don't recall seeing The Mortal Storm but I will check it out. I had no idea that she had a hand in creating the cell phone. :)

Yea I am going to have a movie weekend come next week. I am going to add to my list your recommendations & let ya know what I think.

June 26, 2016 8:07 PM MDT

Okay sounds good :) I could recommend any actor or actress... many, many films. Btw if you want to see a real funny film, try Monty Woolley and Bette Davis in The Man Who Came To Dinner.

Let me know your favorite actors and actresses, I am sure I can find a few movies that are good you haven't seen :) .
      June 26, 2016 8:13 PM MDT

Okay here is a few lol that I could remember off the top of my head.:)

Lauren Bacall, Bogart, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, Lucile Ball, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Vincent Price,Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Ingrid Bergman, Judy Garland, Ginger Roger, Grace Kelly, Doris Day, Hedy Lamarr, Sophia Loren, Shirly Temple, Jayne Mansfield, Zsa Zsa Gabor, &  Vira Miles

June 26, 2016 9:01 PM MDT

The Fighting 69th was really good.

June 26, 2016 9:27 PM MDT

Lauren Bacall was 19 years old when To Have and Have Not was filmed. That's another Bogart film. That's the movie where she asked him if he knew how to whistle. She was SO hot!

June 26, 2016 10:12 PM MDT